1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making schedules and standings look interesting

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by BullBoi, Sep 21, 2006.

1. BullBoi

BullBoi New Member

I'm working without an Art Director for the first time, and I'm trying to figure out a way to make schedules and standings less abysmally dull to look at.

Anyone have any suggestions or examples you could point me to?

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Definitely use an agate type ... somewhere in the neighborhood of an 8-point font or less, as well as a sans serif font.

One way to add a little jazz without getting clunky is to add reverse color (or B&W) bars to alternating rows within the schedule/standings.

Or be simple and just add a color or B&W box behind the schedule/standings to make it stand out.

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Follow your instict and always put Notre Dame at the top.

4. JSantelli

JSantelli New Member

Now that's an idea!

In all seriousness, though, if you have a lot of room to work with, thumbnail size logos are something I find attractive.

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

In all seriousness, check this out:

http://apse.dallasnews.com/2006/dec2006/120306hoppes.html

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I like it when the conference standings have a little breakout box on the end that gives an explanation of what it all means. Same goes for schedules, you highlight the top game in that conference for that week.
    Gives people a reason to keep reading and also adds for some context.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

One thing I try to do if I'm using standings as something more than agate is to create a strong hierarchy -- in other words, strong bold versus light.

Our main agate font is Poynter Regular Condensed. On the agate page, bold is Poynter Bold Condensed. But if I'm breaking out standings on a regular page, I might change the boldface stuff to Bendon Black, really make it stand out.

Same thing for schedules ... put the school names in mega-bold.

Draft saved Draft deleted