1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making predictions in print

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Aug 7, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great story, Dustin.

Prep football picks were an institution at my last shop, readers ate that stuff up. Heck, we should have put the news of the day in the middle of the capsules so as to reach people who we know didn't sniff any other page in the paper.

"Eastern High has won three in a row and isn't going to stop now against a South team that hasn't scored in a month. The property tax hike has spurred mass protests and the mayor will hold an emergency meeting Monday. The South coach will give Joe Bob one more try at quarterback, but barring an offensive explosion (read: field goal) he'll likely turn to a freshman next week. Mass layoffs are expected later this year at the Ford plant as sales slow of the Crapmobile. Pick: Eastern."

2. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I would post, but you said it all for me. I wish I got 50 voicemails a day reacting to my stories. If that were the case, I think we'd all be making a little more money.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

That is what I'm saying. It may be a pain in the ass because of the calls that you get, but that only means people are reading and will read for the rest of the season, regardless of how accurate you are.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

And to be honest, I never got any SERIOUS shit for picking against a team. If they won, people would give me some good-natured guff. I'd usually respond with, "Yeah, well I missed six other games, too." Or, if I really wanted to needle them back: "Yeah, I picked you to win last week. How did that turn out?"

5. aztarheel

aztarheel New Member

I love it...

Draft saved Draft deleted