1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making Danny Almonte proud ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Aug 18, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sorry, but there isn't a competitive environment anywhere that people aren't going to bend the rules to their advantage. It would be nice to think there is. But I'm telling you, if this Central Iowa team has been playing competitive softball for this long, they are not naive to this. In fact I would go so far as to say they had also done the math and were prepared to celebrate like crazy as soon as North Carolina allowed a run.

This still isn't as bad as the LL baseball regional one a few years ago where one team was about to close out a win but a player hadn't batted yet -- which would mean a forfeit -- so the coach told the pitcher to get wild and let the other team tie it so they could play the bottom of the sixth and hope for the best. The other team picked up on it and started swinging at every pitch to finish off the loss.

Flawed finish Portsmouth advances with forfeit victory

Colchester fans were becoming extremely agitated, and Portsmouth fans, realizing the situation, had begun cheering when the Portsmouth batters swung at bad pitches and missed.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Sounds like this team wanted the best chance at getting that championship trophy. They don't want a participation trophy.

3. LongTimeListener

Central Iowa wins. So, I can't say I'm all that upset about the fate that befalls the Washington coach, whose team probably would have advanced by playing straight-up. It's bullshit that they had to play the game and it's bullshit that they have this format in the first place, but there is karma there about

4. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

Karma wins again!!!

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a game in a girls basketball tournament where each team wanted to lose to move into the loser's bracket so as to not face the dominant team until the finals?

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

7. LongTimeListener

I don't know. I haven't heard about it, but it may have happened. For the most part, though, intentionally losing in a double-elimination tournament is a pretty bad idea. Depending where you are in the bracket, you're then forcing yourself to win two or three more games to get to the same point.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This is the problem you get whenever you set up tourney formats in which the final rounds are not single-elimination, win-or-go-home situations.

9. LongTimeListener

That basketball game in the link was about a game that determined seeding for the single-elimination tournament. It wasn't about what happened in the bracket of a double-elimination tournament. So actually it's a lot like this softball case here.

I'd be surprised if there were a case of a team tanking on purpose in a double-elimination bracket. I can't see how there would be any advantage in it.

10. MagoIL

MagoIL Member

Cheaters cheat

Draft saved Draft deleted