1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making A Murderer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Dec 30, 2015.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Only evidence presented against Dassey was his own confessions (including one orchestrated by his own dumb-ass smiling attorney).

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Here's some factual information to consider:

Nancy Grace? What are her legal credentials? Graduate of Mercer School of Law; ranked 105 out of 145 in the nation. Not exactly stellar. She graduated from law school; BFD. Her legal opinion is worthless IMHO.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Quite a bit different from your previous thoughts on the topic of credentials.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Some of the best lawyers I know went to so-called TTT (third tier toilet) law schools. And the worst lawyer I have ever had regular interaction with is a Yale grad. I don't pay much attention to where someone went to law school.

But there are legitimate reasons to question why anyone gives credence to Nancy Grace's opinions or why she has the platform she does, beginning with how frequently her analysis is incorrect and ending with the fact that her main credential - a decade as a prosecutor in Georgia - is marred by multiple reprimands for misconduct. She was the kind of prosecutor that gives prosecutors a bad name.

Turning to her for analysis on criminal court cases would be like turning to Stacey Koon or Laurence Powell for analysis of police brutality claims.

Riptide likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

No doubt great lawyers come from third tier schools; and vice versa; but those are exceptions in long run

Grace is a TV farce and that's all

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

@qtlaw does the school matter then, or does it not matter?

franticscribe had a nice critique of Nancy Grace based on her background and demonstrated legal ability. Your critique focused entirely on where she went to school 30 years ago. That's an idea you rejected when it came up regarding someone you agree with, though.

8. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

It's a good thing I didn't check the CV of my hepatic surgeon a couple months ago. Turns out this brilliant doctor, one of the most respected in his field in the USA, had the nerve to attend med school in Grenada. I should've demanded someone from a non third-tier university.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Unless it's an absolute emergency, I'll only see doctors who went to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College or the Ho Chi Minh School of Medicine.

sgreenwell and Fly like this.
  10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I should have demanded the hospital get someone truly qualified from a real school to re-implant my gangrenous gall bladder, and then take it out the right way.

11. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

The fact that they accepted Dassey's "confession" without a shred of evidence to back up his story was very baffling. I don't want to accuse all of Manitowoc County of being idiots, but how can someone on the jury not say "Wait, why was there no blood found at the scene if they tied her to the bed, beat her, raped her, slashed her throat, then shot her in the head?"

I've been rewatching the series, and that's what sticks out to me. How is it the only thing they found were bones in the fire pit, a key in his bedroom (after several searches yielded nothing) and a small trace of blood (which they couldn't even link to Dalbach or Avery, which meant it was probably a deer or animal)? If the crime was as vicious as Professor Perv (whatever his dumb name was) claimed, why did they not stumble onto a gruesome crime scene. Are you telling me someone as dumb as Avery and Dassey could pull off a scrubbing of a crime scene that would make even Dexter blush?

Avery may have indeed murdered that lady, I have no way of knowing. But boy, the evidence they did provide is pretty damn shady and flimsy.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Someone as "bright" as Avery was able to clean up the garage and house that quickly? Doesn't logically follow IMHO.

Draft saved Draft deleted