1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making A Murderer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Dec 30, 2015.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Again, that makes the questions to be answered "Was he under arrest?" and "If so, did they read him his rights?" If he wasn't under arrest, then he only has himself to blame for what he said. If he was under arrest and had his rights read to him, then you're blaming the police for Dassey's mistakes. Again, you're giving him some kind of "Stupidity Shield."

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Tony, you're hiding behind your Stupidity Shield again.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You're so compassionate; pains me I'm not a relative.

Yes being blessed with a 4 th grade level of intellect gets you a stupidity shield; like a 4th grader know to ask for a lawyer or whether he's under arrest or not.

I'm all for giving someone of limited intellect protection. You're not. Got it. "Whip him, he didn't have to say anything! It's admissible!!"

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I save all my compassion in this case for the Halbach family. I know that's really hard for you fans of Avery and Dassey to understand.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

"Fans" of Avery and Dassey. LOL.

Who are their fans?

People are only looking for justice. Dassey certainly didn't receive it.

Mr. Sunshine, JC and franticscribe like this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It does the family no good if the prime suspects are let go because the police pissed on their constitutional rights.

And to your previous reply, your rights under the Constitution don't kick in if and only if you get arrested. The police have a line they can't cross with interrogations and a judge ruled they did. Dassey has the protection of the Constitution regardless if he did a bad thing.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of anybody. All I know about that podcast (or the case itself) is seeing articles about it. I say again, if you put an experienced interrogator in a room with someone of limited mental capacity and no representation, you're just asking for an appeal. It might not be upheld, but I think an appeal is quite reasonable.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

If you ever studied the history of criminal procedure in our country; maybe you'd understand why constitutional protections are needed; you're "compassion "? Exactly what they used to say before Miranda or even Gideon v Wainwright; look those up.

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Why is the guy most concerned about "big, bad" government here so deferential to them in this case?

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Everyone here knows you're a criminal-loving pinko liberal.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Glad to see Dassey released. Shockingly, there isn't a Kickstarter to get him to Wrestlemania yet, but I'm sure the Internet will oblige soon enough. The next domino to fall would seemingly be Avery. While I don't know if he was completely clean in all of this, the prosecution and police have done such a horrible job managing the case that I'd shocked if they could get a conviction on appeal.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As I said several pages back, I'm convinced Avery killed her AND was framed by the police.

Draft saved Draft deleted