1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making a living as a freelancer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by farmerjerome, Sep 17, 2007.

1. In Exile

In Exile Member

This is like the "how do I write a book thread?" There are lots of detailed resources out there, in the archives of this site, online, and in print, on how to pitch and submit story ideas to publications of all kinds. Rather than repeat how to pitch a story here in shorthand, treat the task of doing anything freelance as if that were a subject you were researching for a story you were going to write. Start by doing your homework in print sources, then ask questions either in person or on this board.

That will tell you almost everything you need to know.

2. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Yes, but what if I want to write a book?

;)

3. In Exile

In Exile Member

My ghostwriting rates are quite reasonable.

4. HeinekenMan

Oh, I don't care much for horror.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I tried it for nine months before getting a part-time job. From that experience, my advice would be to get a full-time job with benefits doing something else then freelance on the side. If you can build up enough business, then go it alone. For instance, I had trouble breaking into magazines. I just needed more time and stability to get that going, but I ran into a couple of bad months. That's one of the bad parts about freelancing. The great part is the freedom. The bad parts are the lack of benefits as mentioned before and the ups and downs. Some months are great. Others (like the summer months) were not.

6. HeinekenMan

Yes, summers can be tough, particularly if you rely heavily on sports. Given that I have lots of experience doing general-interest stuff and local government reporting, etc., I supplement sports pretty heavily in the summer. Of course, it also depends on where you live. I happen to live on the outskirts of two major metro regions, and both of them have papers competing for customers in my city. So that's a good base. If you live in a city with just a single newspaper, you might be in trouble. Also, don't forget that there is work on the internet these days. Surely all of those damned fantasy football geniuses aren't really geniuses.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

The funny thing is, that's what I really want to do -- write a book. I have the perfect topic, just no money and time. Those two things are kind of important. :)

8. In Exile

In Exile Member

I can't say this enough, but if you wait for the perfect time to write your book, you never, ever, ever will. There's never enough money, or enough time. I written books with an infant in my lap, while working a full-time job in another field, while burying my parents, while ill and while living off credit cards. Most authors I know have similar stories, most wanna be authors don't. Stop making excuses, write it anyway and you just might surprise yourself.

You have 5,000 posts - that's all the time you need right there.

9. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

brilliant

10. HeinekenMan

Wow! Great advice there, In Exile.

I actually took all of my posts and compiled them into book form. If you'd like a copy, PM me.

;)

No, really, I'm taking that to heart. It's time for moi to write a book.

11. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

My wife is also a freelancer. With a combination of hard work and good luck, she's been able to do quite well for herself and our family. But she's disciplined (much more than I could ever be; I'd be on this site all day). She works almost whenever she has a spare moment, and she's not too picky about assignments. But she has built up a nice stable of clients, mostly local newspapers, magazines and book companies. I think the myth is that you're going to write for Esquire for $2 a word or whatever right away. But the truth is, you have to take the $50 and $75 newspaper gigs, the college alumni magazine assignments and specialty publication stuff to work your way up.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Writing books and having kids are similar...if you wait until you've got time and money, you'll never get 'em done.

Draft saved Draft deleted