1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making 130 a Year and Living at Home

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JC, Jun 23, 2016.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I have a lot more problem with this guy not paying his mom any rent -- if, as it appears, he doesn't -- than I do with her doing his laundry if that's what she chooses to do. How could he live with himself, making that much money, and not paying anything? I really wish the story would've addressed that directly.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Not trying to fight either. Just saying what I think of as the norm: doing laundry once a week.

My point wasn't really laundry. And it wasn't about adults living with parents or a sibling's family during financial hardship.
    It was a grown man with a decent income should not live with his parents and should not have his mother cooking and cleaning for him. If he lives like, even though his parents might be complicit, they should be ashamed of him.

3. Key

Key Well-Known Member

He's a modern day Wooderson: "You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N."

Except he's 31 not 21. And apparently an asshole.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Pretty much agree with this, although I think he should be ashamed of himself, more than his parents necessarily being ashamed of him (because they must be willing partners in the arrangement), especially if, as it seems, he's actually home much more than he's away -- enough to work five or six days a week.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I read the whole thing. He chips in for groceries once in a while, but he doesn't pay rent.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have more of an issue on this guy throwing his money away on overpriced booze and food.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Spend the way you want to spend, but pay your own way and suffer the consequences. That is a choice any adult can make.
    Being a parasite is despicable.

8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Did he get a good deal on his car?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He's the kind of person who would take a trip to Kiribati on New Year's Eve so he could boast that he's the first person to welcome the new year and congratulate himself on how this wonderful "experience" only cost him a few thousand dollars.

SFIND likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted