1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making 130 a Year and Living at Home

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JC, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I'm sure Buck can relate, but I literally have to do laundry every single day with two minions running loose around the house.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Depends on circumstances, I guess. If you have kids, or work in a really dirty job, or don't have enough clothes, etc., and if you have your own in-house washer/dryer, then of course you'd need to, and would be more inclined to, do laundry pretty often.

But if you're, say, a single person with no kids (as the writer of this article appears to be), work a fairly clean job, and you have enough clothes -- and/or if you don't have a washer/dryer in-house, and instead have to go to a laundry mat or a communal laundry room in your condo complex to do your wash, well, you'll find that you don't do it nearly so often.

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I lived at home until 25, but I started doing my laundry (and buying my own detergent/fabric softener) at around 17. It's ridiculous Mommy is still doing his laundry and feeding him.

4. But what If she likes doing it because you're her special boy? Her No. 1?

Asking for a, uh, friend.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What about an able adult who depends on his wife to do the laundry for the past 16 years?

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I enjoy folding laundry. Well, I need to fold the laundry so it's done correctly.

SFIND likes this.
  7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

By the time they're teenagers, it will be at least two loads a day ... although they can "help." :rolleyes:

dixiehack and Machine Head like this.
  8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

And they never turn the socks out.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have children now, but that has only been about nine months.
    I've been single with no children. My entire adult life I've been a journalist and then a flak, both pretty clean jobs.
    And I have lived for long stretches without a washer or dryer in my apartment.
    I don't think I've gone three weeks without doing laundry since college.

And, I am not a very tidy person.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I live at home - my home. I've done my own laundry for years, even when I had a mom, a wife or kids around. Now I have no choice. Ella's a good dog but she refuses to do laundry.

KYSportsWriter and WriteThinking like this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You're lucky you even have socks. Our socks disappear all the time.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I guess we've had different experiences/practices, Buck. I don't have to do wash that often, and never have. I've never done it more than every couple of weeks, and have never been a dirty or overly unkempt person. Obviously, others' mileage may vary. But I am not getting into a fight about laundry. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted