1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Makes me want to scream

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Jan 21, 2010.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to relocate my family and haven't been able to land anywhere despite 6 months of pretty much endless applications...still plugging away, but also looking at different fields. So frustrating that quality people in this field can't find/hold jobs because the industry is struggling so much. Getting fired is one thing, but losing your job simply due to cutbacks is another. My paper just got hit again...fortunately I survived, but guess who's picking up most of the work load leftover ::)

All this, then I meet a long-time friend for dinner this week and he tells me of his latest PR project for a local college. He poses as the school's mascot on facebook and makes whacky posts for a good portion of his day...A sample,

grrmeow, informashun on dah human elekshun. Glad I cants vote.

My friend is great, but really? He gets paid half again as much as I do and produces this?
    Something is twisted here.

2. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'll say it again: We keep losing people at our paper ... to better jobs.

They are out there.

But I think most people still left at newspapers can share your sentiments. Many of us want to leave but haven't found the right opportunity.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I finally found another job that I didn't think I'd want at first. E-mailed a resume and didn't hear back for a few months. Going out there for an in-person interview convinced me to make a move.

It took me about six months to land this job after a couple of in-person interviews, about a dozen phone interviews, and turning down an offer. It was frustrating, but I felt like I needed to make a move up.

How many interviews are you getting? After several interviews, I think I got pretty good at them and had confidence since I had a job already. They had to convince me as well as me convincing them.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I share your "makes be want to scream" sentiment.
    I'm looking hard to make a career change, not because I want to but because I feel I have to.
    It drives me absolutely insane with the crap our paper is doing. I'm still working and feel pretty secure, but have taken a sizable pay cut. My problem is that the people who's name is on the front door care less about the product than the people in the trenches. The people who make the most care more about the bottom line than the ones of us who are just managing to pay our bills.
    They'd rather have a halfass product by paying stringers and such than the staff. That's the part the hurts the worst. There are dozens of us that work our asses off and take pride in what we do, but the ones who reap the benefits don't care.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Similar boat...I'm happy with the job I'm at, but recent cuts/furloughs are scary...mostly though my wife and I want to make a move to a different part of the country. I've turned down a few offers simply because it would have meant a substantial paycut and been in the finalist mix a few times. Bummed out because I just missed out on one that I had been most excited about since beginning the search.

Now, I'm at the point where if I land something in the field great, if not, then I'll be happy at least trying something else (SID/PR work namely). Love newspapers, but at some point you get tired of turning down low-paying, high-hour opportunities when you could write press releases and get a sizeable pay raise instead.

I'm afraid our industry is going to start losing the good ones and the blogger/stringer-takeover may win afterall.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Does your friend have balls?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

The hell with that, is his friend hiring?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've only had a couple in the several months that I've been out of work. Nothing's come of them.

Most frustrating to me, recently, is that I have seen several ads for jobs that have wanted people to call for interviews. When I have called, they said the job is already taken.

Draft saved Draft deleted