1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Make Your Predictions: What's Next for Isiah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

I predict that an appeal will be filed soon.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I would guess the EEOC can't order a company to fire someone but Stern could certainly drop the hammer on them if there is a "best interest of the league" clause somewhere in the NBA bylaws.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

But it's being reported Stern won't do anything.

They'll never win an appeal. You can't appeal the facts -- there has to be a legal mistake. And it seems like the judge and the jury did everything by the book.

It seems like the appeals process will drag on... ultimately MSG will be denied... then Thomas will be fired-- but for lack of winning on the court-- not for sexually harassing someone. To the end, Dolan will deny he and MSG did anything wrong.

I'm glad they have to pay, but it's frustrating. It just seems like nothing will come of this.

4. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

To make himself feel better, Isiah will trade Lee, Balkman, an expiring contract, and two future first-round picks for Kenyon Martin.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The only reason Sanders would settle is to get some money in the near future instead of maybe the whole schmear 10 years from now, when the appeals would finally run out.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They're appealing so she eats up her settlement in legal costs.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have to tell you, the amount awarded shocked me. $6 million in punitives is a huge amount for the hostile work environment based on the allegations in the case, even for an organization as big as the Garden. I could see a retaliation claim, mostly because Dolan acted like an idiot and fired her basically because he was upset that she complained.

I have worked with and against both sets of lawyers and it didn't surprise me that plaintiff prevailed.

8. dooley_womack1

I'm sure MSG could be made to pay legal costs.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Prevailing employees get their fees in these types of cases. So if the verdict is upheld, the Garden pays her appeals fees.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Oh good Webster, I was waiting for your take on this.

I guess what I want to know is...

Is is possible for the city of New York (and the NY media) to run Isiah and/or Jimmy Dolan out?

Or does nobody have the energy for that anymore?

-------------

I got pretty interested in this case because a friend works for MSG-- great guy. I talked to him for the first time in a year or so back on Day 1 of the trial. He was WAY confident the Garden would prevail. To me it shows what's going on in the halls of the Garden-- they're really clueless about the wrongness of the culture there.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There's something to be said for that.

It seems that awards of this nature are often overturned or reduced or hung up in appeals for long periods. I almost never hear of someone getting everything the jury awarded in a timely fashion.

And since we brought Bob Barker into this thread . . . ex-Barker beauty Holly Hallstrom's suit against him dragged on for so long that she was reduced to sleeping in her car before she finally got some cash.

12. dooley_womack1

Cablevision was stupid enough to risk going without the Mets' channel over some stupid shit. The Garden folks ain't that smart.

Draft saved Draft deleted