1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications at SJSU

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kweonsam, Dec 3, 2014.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed on the Fan man. One of the best. I had a opportunity to work with him as a student assistant and learned a lot, so if that door opens, go through it.

2. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Mass Communications?

So, you;re going to become a priest?

I'm totally confused.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The Latin will come in handy, though.

4. Be wary of a department that uses the plural form of communication.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Like another poster said, it isn't the degree, it's who you meet and what you do with it. The profs there have a lot of good experience and won't fill you with false hope. Jimmy is a great reference. He went through that program, knows a ton of people. I can't speak higher of him.

At SJSU, you have Richard Craig, who is a bit of an eccentric, but he knows his shit. Mack Lundstrum is an old Merc guy. Meet him. Learn from him. You won't meet a better news man.

If you don't end up in print, you will have the opportunity to get the skills to do just about anything, be it PR, activism or something else entirely. It really is up to you, though. There is only so much that program will do for you; it's up to you to take advantage of what's there.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

7. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I certainly wouldn't do it again. I can't say I regret it because if I had majored in something else, I would have been in a different place and would not have met my wife and would not have my children.

But I've gone back to school to try to rectify the mistakes of my youth.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I would absolutely do it again. It was great to be excited, idealistic and enthusiastic about journalism.

Sure, most of us have been beaten down by the business, but I still love it... Until the next round of layoffs come.

Draft saved Draft deleted