1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major storms hitting Kansas - major damage in Greensburg, Kan.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, May 5, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

There are two wedge tornados going right now? That really sucks. How far away are you from all of this?

2. chef --
    Keep posting.
    We're here.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

90 miles.

Just counted..........21 counties in Kansas in either Severe T-Storm/Tornado warning.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Great Bend got by the first one.....now to the east of there........still one just to the south of Great Bend.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/Conus/uppermissvly_loop.php

Unbelievable.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

Ellinwood, Ks.

90 MPH Winds

Large wedge tornado, combined with another storm with several mini-tornadoes......passed just to the west of Ellinwood.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What do the blue parts of that map mean? Because there is a bunch of blue shit building in my neck of the woods.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

The blue is actually ground interference............when you see dark green, yellow, red.......then you become concerned.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Thanks.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Spent the day covering a postseason college softball tournament. Saw images for the first time of Greensburg about an hour ago. Words fail me. The town is gone.

I said about midnight last night, "This is going to be a storm we're going to talk about 20 years from now."

I've changed my story. This is story I'll be telling when I'm in a nursing home.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Earlier today, I thought about my trip to the World's Largest Hand Dug Well in Greensburg. I remember going there before covering a regional track meet years ago. Didn't think much of it at the time, other than something to do to kill time before an assignment because I got there way too early. Chatted with an area football coach there ... he wanted to see the well, just because. Took photos and went on my way.

Today, I chatted with another friend who used I used to work with; he's since moved out of the state. We talked about Greensburg when we traveled through there, how it was before, how it is now, how we felt about this. We both felt helpless.

Hopefully, everyone there can escape any further damage tonight and get underway with the rebuilding process ASAP.

In the meantime, I'm scanning photos and trying to recognize anything from the town without much luck.

http://hutchnews.mycapture.com/mycapture/folder.asp?searchstr=&searchin=&event=266048&thisPage=1

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Jesus Christ. That's the first time I've seen pictures. My prayers to all those having to deal with this. For those in the SJ community, if you can, keep us updated and let us know that you're okay.

Draft saved Draft deleted