1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major storms hitting Kansas - major damage in Greensburg, Kan.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, May 5, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Another second. I just heard that SEAL teams on the scene are saying the town is damaged beyond repair

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Both schools destroyed.

Main street destroyed.

80% of hospital collapsed.

Twister got Greensburg, Macksville, Ellinwood as well.

Son of a bitch.

I'm about 80 miles from Greensburg.........this is getting a little too close.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

http://www.ksn.com/

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I can't imagine what it would be like to wake up this morning and see the damage for the first time. Not a good night.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Amen. I love the midwest, except for Tornado Alley. I lived in Nashville when it was struck by a very bad tornado in '98 I think it was. Seeing the damage the next day really was frightening

6. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

As part of the volunteer fire department, I was out in that shit doing stormspotting. Fun times. I don't mind doing it in the daytime, but darkness is just eerie as shit, especially when you have weatherbase (NWS real time radar person) telling firebase (fire department) what is doing what and where. Firebase then relays that info to us in the field. We were told it was very large and rain-wrapped. Look for it being back-lit by lightning, and look for transformers being blown. But how in hell do you see that when the summitch is rain-wrapped? Law enforcement came across the radio with reports of power poles and trees knocked down, but we didn't see any of that. No debris. Just heavy rain, marble-sized hail, and lots of both. Fortunately, the storm weakened, then took a more easterly track.
    NOAA has us right in the middle of the bullseye again today.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Good luck, man. Yeah, the darkness just heightens the eeriness and puts you at much more of a disadvantage.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Now 7 confirmed dead.

9. Platyrhynchos

Shit :'(

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Greensburg right in the middle of the area that's predicted to get hit tonight.

Weather out here is ripe for this shit.......High 80's, humid as a sauna, no wind.

11. Platyrhynchos

Batten down the hatches, Chef.
    Round two today:
    http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good luck today/tonight platy. That is a pretty big swath of the country that has a chance of getting hit.

Draft saved Draft deleted