1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major storms hitting Kansas - major damage in Greensburg, Kan.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, May 5, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yeah, Angola, I would guess the bathroom would be the place to be. My old house didn't have a basement. Thankfully, I never had to worry about taking shelter there.

Re: Salina, there are about 45,000 to 48,000 people there.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So, if Salina gets hit, then we are going to see some serious destruction.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I was two blocks from one that hit in 1999. I was running the board at a radio station whose studio was on the second floor. It sounded to me more like a gigantic swarm of bees times 10. I practically swan-dived downstairs.

Turned out we were OK, but the uplink tower outside was blown down (signaling end of my shift) and it demolished a Kroger's right up Broadway and killed a man.

Same tornado skipped right over my folks' house (as I discovered after I later plotted it on a map) and came down on a small town to the northeast, killing five.

This was probably a strong F2 or weak F3.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

From watching the radar on The Weather Channel, it sure looks like this storm has a chance of hitting Salina.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You would, yeah. Hopefully, the worst is done because I fear to read about Greensburg in the next week. There are some good people in that town. All those western Kansas communities, really. Salt of the earth.

Looks like that storm is about to hit Claflin, Jackie Stiles' hometown.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I spent the first 22 years of my life in tornado alley and the closest I came to one was within two miles maybe. Never felt threatened, never saw one in person, never heard one. Lots of sirens but nothing dangerously close to me.

My wife went to college in tornado alley and within the first two years had one go back into the sky right before destroying the house she was in. She goes outside and a book shelf and a car bumper were in her backyard. The apartment complex down the street was in bad shape. She saw it and ran inside, heard the sound of a train and everything.

She got the wrong idea thinking that tornados nearly kill us Midwesterners every other year.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You too, huh?

8. Football_Bat

If it goes from Greensburg to Claflin, it'll go wide left of Salina.

Here's hoping the only thing that gets sucked is a lot of blackdirt.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

My mother still lives there. 52 years in the Midwest, never once a close call.

knock on wood.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm going to bed. Prayers for the Kansans. A lot of lives dramatically changed tonight.

11. Football_Bat

TWC finally showed radar. Tormado warning for 3 counties in central Kansas — I think Reno and Rice were two of them.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Second that.

Draft saved Draft deleted