1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, Apr 23, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

For those of you who cover college teams, do you never, rarely or often make mention of the athletes' majors?

Example: "We're going to kick ass this weekend," said quarterback Bob Smith, a second-year basket-weaving major.

I like to, and always have. I just think people would say "huh, I didn't know he studied astro physics."

2. Depends on the major. I've worked it into a few features from time to time...

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Don't use a major unless it pertains to the story.

EDIT: Basically, what Omar said. Don't just use it as a throw-in.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Yeah, I should have specified. I never use it in a game story. But I do in features.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I think it's a good idea in features.

6. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I think it should be a must in features. It says a lot about a kid, as much as his height and weight.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I'll mention it only if it pertains to the story, like if the subject is having to balance a big chemistry course load or something like that.

The mere fact that Earl the linebacker is majoring in communications or physical education isn't going to add much to what I write.

8. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

No, but it says an awful lot about their ambitions, whether they're in school to play sports or there to actual better themselves. How about doing a little reporting and ask the kid what he's going to do with his major?

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I cover two SEC schools and neither one is Vanderbilt, so there's not much doubt about why they're in school.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what's oden's major? and who cares?

11. carrie

carrie Active Member

Business Administration.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the biz world surely is a better place.

Draft saved Draft deleted