1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major League or major league?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bob, Feb 2, 2010.

1. bob

bob Member

Help me, please.
    Do I write "so-and-so signed a Major League contract?" Or, "so-and-so signed a major league contract?"
    Is so-and-so a Major Leaguer? Or a major leaguer?

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Cap it when referring to the office of Major League Baseball. Otherwise, lowercase.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say someone signed a major league contract anyway. I'd say they signed a contract with the Yankees or Marlins or Padres or whatever.

4. bob

bob Member

you do realize I'm simply trying to get the rule on capping "Major League?"

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes indeedy. And often the best way to solve a problem like that is to avoid it.

But WolvEagle is correct.

6. Wes Rucker

Wes Rucker Member

David Keith, a.k.a Jack Parkman, is a huge Tennessee booster who attends basically every football and men's hoops game. He sits near the media. I'll ask him this weekend and get back to you.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Major-league contract. Major-leaguer.

8. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Ace,
    Well, someone could have signed a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training, so it's worth noting this time of year if a player signs a major-league contract.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nice!

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I would argue the hyphen is not necessary in major league contract. This is an exception to the standard rule on compound modifiers because "major" and "league" are so closely connected in use, especially within the context in question (sports reporting, and specifically, baseball), they do not need the hyphen. No one is going to read the sentence and think the person signed a "league contract," and a major one at that.

It's pretty much the same with high school coach. It's not that he's a school coach, and a high one to boot. He's a high school coach.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's true. Agree with JD on the non-hyphens also.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

We have adopted that style, too. Reduce the use of hyphens.

Draft saved Draft deleted