1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major League Draft To Be Televised on ESPN2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Eagleboy, May 7, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dont they have it on cable in the Retirement Castle?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

They'll show 1 round 5 minutes between picks. Won't be too bad.

And hell, it beats more poker re-runs.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

You should have a fantasy draft that day, too.

4. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

They'll probably have a Baseball America guy like Jim Callis do it.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Rivals.com

Not.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Since the Royals pick second and the Bucs not to long after that, I probably would watch just for those two picks. That would probably do it for me, though.

7. KP

KP Active Member

A league-wide conference call. MustSeeTV

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's not the cathode ray nipple I usually like to suckle, but I'll watch the first 10 minutes just for the sheer geek quotient.

The draft chapter is easily the best in Moneyball, but that don't translate to the screen.

9. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Five ways to give yourself a splitting headache:

1. Watch your grass grow
    2. Watch housepaint dry
    3. Get teeth pulled at dentist
    4. Watch talk radio on TV
    5. Watch any draft on TV

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

This is a no-brainer for this time slot. There's not much competition from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. on a Thursday. It's sure to beat almost every other program during those times.

I'll be watching the first round because I've covered a likely first-round pick for the past two seasons. Once that person has been selected, though, I'm not sure they'll be able to hold my attention past the Cardinals' second-round selection.

The MLB draft's importance is most certainly one of those things that will be determined by the media coverage. And it's in the media's interest to make a big deal of it because that means more stories, more niche publications, more draft pundits, thus more jobs, etc.

And if the media makes Joe High School out to be the next Nolan Ryan, you can bet there's going to be tons of fan pressure on GMs, who will be obligated to bring guys along through the system far too early.

But I think what baseball needs is a draft of players who start with the big-league club. Increase the league to 50 teams or 60 teams, cut those salaries in half and use that money to build ballparks in smaller cities or to refurbish minor league parks into big league parks.

I can't wait to hear thoughts on this insanity.

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Good to see MLB follow the lead of the NHL and MLS by getting its draft on TV. That's a forward-thinking operation.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Last year, I listened to this on XM while traveling to a college baseball game. Yeah, I'll be watching. But I also understand most people won't be.

Draft saved Draft deleted