1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major floods in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Sep 21, 2009.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

At least four dead, including a toddler washed away when the water took out her mobile home. Apparently it's been raining since about Friday, and it hasn't stopped yet.

I would guess the massive storm that delayed the Auburn-WVa game is one of many that have charged through. If you saw the video from Jordan-Hare, you know how hard the rain was.

Glad I'm not there anymore, but I know there's quite a few on here who are. Hopefully everyone's safe and dry.

http://www.ajc.com/news/minute-by-minute-updates-143387.html

One photo, from http://twitpic.com/im5z3.

[​IMG]

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Was just coming to post about this. Virtually all the metro area schools closed tommorrow. And if the Connector is flooded out, those people will sit in traffic until after Thanksgiving.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Active Member

We had something like this a few weeks ago. We got 1 1/2 inches of rain here, while 15 miles to the west, one small town recorded 14 inches.

Saw the photos and video from the Atlanta floods tonight, it's unbelievable how bad it is.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

North Georgia/Chattanooga area has been swamped, as well. Water is spilling over the top of the levee on the Chattooga River (near Trion) and the town of Chickamauga has gotten like 12 inches in the past 20 hours.

It's rained here every day — sometimes very, very hard — for more than a week.

The upside, so much for the drought.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Welcome to central Alabama, where football games were delayed up to two days and about 7 inches of rain have fallen since Friday...

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

it's been brutal all over bama, tennessee and Ga.
    i'm surprised our resident Mocs beat writer hasn't been sending pics via twitter.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Y'all must be getting the same shit that took 8 days to clear out of DFW.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I live 45 minutes north of Nashville, and it's hardly rained here.

20 minutes down the road, they're flooding like crazy.

It's been a weird weather week.

10. KG

KG Active Member

There are about 300 road closures here due to flooding, and as dixie said, virtually all of the metro schools are closed. I dread finding out how many people call in "sick" tonight because of the flooding, because I'll have to do their job. I may still be working this time tomorrow.

11. KG

KG Active Member

I just realized how much it smells like sewage outside. I hate to let my dogs out to potty with everything potentially being coated in it, but don't have a choice. It's that or they go on the carpet.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's been raining since at least last Tuesday, because my brother drove us down to Turner Field that night and we skidded the whole way down there on I-85. (Surprisingly, it didn't rain a drop during the game, though.)

Not sure how many of my friends have posted Facebook statuses today of "I need a ride; bring your boat."

Hope this clears up long enough for people to get home tonight. Ugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted