1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major earthquake in Alaska

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Nov 30, 2018.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Terrifying. I grew up in earthquake country and have been through my fair share. I have family in Anchorage and they texted to say they are OK, just some messes to clean up.

This is just a tiny fraction of damage that will happen when the Big One hits SoCal.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Or when the New Madrid goes, which will devastate Memphis and St. Louis.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

anybody check on the pipeline?

4. MileHigh

5. DanOregon

Russia just got THAT much closer to Sarah Palin's house.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. MileHigh

That truly looks like the epicenter. Amazing photo.

7. DanOregon

I'm guessing - with the temps below freezing now for a while, they'll just dump gravel and level things out. No way can you repave, and then have the road come apart during the spring thaw.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

9. DanOregon

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Remember the 5.9 in Virginia?

AB19F93F-FB15-4ADB-ADAA-34FF31A9ECB7.png

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Wonder what became of all those cars that were caught undamaged in the middle of all that jumble. They can’t just call in a crane and lift them out, can they?

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I doubt it’s the epicenter. That part of the road looks like a manmade “fill”.

Highway and railroad construction consists of “cuts” and “fills” to make the roadbed more level with less gradient changes. Cuts are sort of self explanatory - you cut through hillsides to eliminate a lot of the hills.

Fills are the opposite - filling in small valleys, with culverts underneath.

Anyway, the main point is that fills are manmade. Dirt and rock (often excavated from nearby cuts) are piled into areas too short and not cost-worthy enough for bridges.

During severe earthquakes, manmade ground tends to be the most likely to “liquefy” and disintegrate.

Another good example of liquefication is the San Fran World Series earthquake (1989 IIRC). Some of the most damaged areas were, ironically, built upon landfills created from the debris of the 1905 SF Earthquake.

Anyway, MH, I’m still amazed at the story and photos from those Colorado roads that washed out a couple of years ago. Did they get opened back up yet?

Regards,
    VB

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted