1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major dust storm

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Jul 4, 2013.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

In honor of Independence Day, SportsCenter tonight has a feature called "U.S. Heroes Come Home" that runs about four minutes showing a boatload of surprise reunions with deployed servicemen and their wives, girlfriends, parents and kids -- most of them done at sports events.

If you can watch this and not well up, you have a heart of stone.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just found the video online. Wasn't available last night when I started this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6dKWq0CzK-k

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah, saw that a few days ago. I think they showed it during a rain delay.
    Had to stop watching since I was at work and didn't want to look all red-eyed.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I thought it was a little cheesy. Made-for-TV-ish, maybe.

5. Have you seen the commercial for Zillow.com?

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

A family invited me to cover something like this a few years ago. His parents and wife knew, and they were setting up the kids for the surprise at their school. Wasn't as dramatic as the stuff on TV. Maybe his kids didn't like him that much. Beats me. It was also around the time that a bunch of folks came home, and the public perception was that we were wearing the story thin. Probably because our editors had us do dozens of these stories. Seemed like everybody who served got his own story. Got accused of milking it for sales. Beats me, I didn't make those decisions.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Interesting the ways in which American military have returned after the wars since WWII:

WWII: Heroes!

Vietnam: Baby killers! http://www.deltacollege.edu/org/deltawinds/DWOnline01/cominghome.html

Iraq, Afghanistan: Heroes!

Draft saved Draft deleted