1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major crisis in Canada as CBC may drop Hockey Night in Canada Theme Song

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jun 5, 2008.

1. EE94

EE94 Guest

seeing as Big League is about a prospect who dies, that's unlikely

Now if it was about a prospect who had his neck broken in an on-ice incident, then Ron Maclean and the CBC would likely consider that

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I heard good things about it but never was able to catch it. Still, in my books there haven't been many better sitcoms - canadian or american produced - than Corner Gas in recent years.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I live close enough to the border to get CBC on cable. I'm partial to "This Hour Has 22 Minutes," and since I'm sort of an international politics junkie, highlights of question period on "The National" always entertains me in a sick, twisted way.

But, I agree, this is a travesty.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It's not that twisted. At my first stop, when I would go home for lunch, they would always be just getting into question period on CSPAN or whatever the channel is called. Highly entertaining, especially when something stupid but controversial pops up.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Speaking of CBC songs, what was the idea behind "Love Hangover" as the song behind the montage at the end of Wednesday's broadcast? Diana Ross warbling about screwing all night was a little distracting.

Also, is Bob Cole going to be back next year?

So goes post No. 1,000.

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Jim Hughson is expected to take over as the voice of the Stanley Cup Final, and, poor fellow, that also means the Maple Leafs more often than not. Too early to say he'll work with Greg Millen. Cole will become the B-game announcer, but with HNIC expected to do a full Saturday night schedule of Montreal games for the first time in years, he won't be exiled to Edmonton or Calgary.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jim Hughson is also a pretty good baseball announcer as well.

CBC has a bunch of Jays games since Sportsnet is doing the EuroCup.

Maybe Huggy or another Canuck knows this. I was watching the Orioles game today. Hughson was calling it, Barfield was the one colour guy. Who was the other? Was it Tabler?

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Rance Mulliniks was the third guy in the booth. He is the best of the Jays' revolving trio of announcers.

Hughson is great on baseball.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks, Huggy. I thought it was Rance. Barfield is better than when he first started but he still talks too much and has this "I was a player and you weren't" attitude.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

If Don Cherry is still on hockey telecasts next year, they should use whatever Scott Steiner's theme song was.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240196&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

TSN/CTV has bought the rights

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Just in - CTV now has the theme song:

www.dose.ca/news/story.html?id=ffea0f08-4eef-4392-9bfc-babcd289f0bd

TORONTO - CTV announced it has secured the rights to the iconic hockey theme song used by CBC for Hockey Night in Canada for the past 39 years.

"The Hockey Theme song will now live on CTV Inc. properties TSN, RDS and across Canada on CTV during coverage of the upcoming Vancouver 2010 Olympics," a news release from the company said Monday.

"The song has a long and storied history in Canadian sports and has become ingrained in the hearts and minds of hockey fans across the country," said Rick Brace, a CTV official. "It is an iconic tune, embraced by Canadians everywhere, and we felt it was imperative to save it. We know we will be in hockey forever, so there's no doubt this acquisition will create value for us."

"It's an honour and a privilege to own such a cherished piece of Canadiana," he added.

The deal between CTV and Copyright Music & Visuals was completed Monday, two days after an announcement by CBC that a deal between the public broadcaster and the song's composer could not be reached.

The song, created by Vancouver's Dolores Claman in 1968, will now be used in NHL broadcasts on TSN and RDS beginning this fall.

"I am very moved by how so many Canadians have taken the hockey theme to heart. We are so pleased the song has found a new home," said Claman. "Throughout our negotiations, CTV displayed a tremendous amount of respect for my family and the song. 'The Hockey Theme' means so much to Canadians, and we know it's in good hands with CTV."

EDIT: Damn. Scooped!! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted