1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major crisis in Canada as CBC may drop Hockey Night in Canada Theme Song

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jun 5, 2008.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The Leafs haven't won a Stanley Cup since HNIC began playing the theme. Coincidence?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's official. CBC has axed the song.

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/439025

I'm with CBC on this. They apparently offered a six figure deal to buy the rights to the song but nothing was forthcoming.

Here's the problem:

But Frank Palmer, CEO of Vancouver-based ad firm DDB, said the theme without hockey is like the Johnny Carson theme without Johnny — nothing.

“I can’t personally see a lot of other use for it if they don’t make the deal. They go hand in the hand,” said Palmer.

You can't differentiate the song from HNIC.

They can't sell it to Wal-Mart as the basis of an ad campaign.

Stupid beyond belief.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Perhaps I should have clarified better. With the exception of Rick Mercer, CBC TV sucks. The only decent thing they have been able to nurture is sketch comedy and they have not had anything too compelling lately.

I think Fifth Estate has lost it's way a little, last story I saw on it was overy dramatic with the bad re-creations. I am not a huge Suzuki fan so Nature of Things does not really float my boat. Passionate Eye can be good but is better suited to Newsworld than the main network.

CBC Newsworld and CBC radio are worth keeping around - sell off the rest.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jesus, you're missing the point.

Rick Mercer, The Fifth Estate, Nature of Things and The Passionate Eye would not exist without the CBC.

The fact that you like or don't like them is well, irrelevant. There isn't a Canadian broadcaster doing these kinds of shows.

Give me ONE show on CTV or Global that's better than any of the ones I've mentioned.

If you say "Canadian Idol" I will hunt you down

And Little Mosque on the Prairie is brilliant.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I realize that they do not exist without the CBC. They would exist on CBC Newsworld rather than the main network. I am sure Newsworld could bump Antiques Roadshow to make some time available. I think the CBC has outlived it's original mandate.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Mosque. How do you find the time to watch between your Mosquito Lake DVD box set :)

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I just love the fact there is an arguement about CBC. The one real good show they have produced in the last ten years is Davincis Inquest which is even in Us syndication.

7. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

As a non Canadian, I've got to admit I don't understand why anyone would care if that tune changes. It's not very good.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's considered our second national anthem. I've been at two weddings where it has been their wedding song. I know how pathetic that sounds but it's just the way it is.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's Monday Night Football without the theme, it's part of the identity... you hear it, you know...

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Although it is entering its final season, Corner Gas is Canada's most successful Canadian produced sitcom and is/was produced by CTV. You asked for it so I felt an obligation to deliver.

While I think CBC has gotten better in recent years with some of its programing (in particular Rick Mercer and The Hour - RM was always the best part of This Hour has 22 Minutes anyways) there is still a lot of waste on that network. The other thing JR that you forgot to mention, and is one of the things I do like about CBC, is their coverage of Canadian amateur sports that rarely if ever find their way on to TSN or Sportsnet.

I know you and I had it out a couple of years ago about CBC and its usefulness today . . . If they continue to improve their programming I'll come around on them having a place in the future as a TV network. However, ditching the HNIC theme song is a kick square in the gonads of all Canadians, especially from a network that is supposed to be on the lookout for our better cultural interests - although after reading a few stories on it, I'm not really sure who is to blame here, sounds like they are really being dicked around by the copywrite holder.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have spent a few Saturday nights in Sudbury. It is an underrated experience. (And I prefer Kim Mitchell's cover to Stompin' Tom's original.)

As for the debate over the CBC (which I don't watch save for HNIC), the best Canadian-made show these days (has been for a few years) is Trailer Park Boys.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Why would you take important shows like Fifth Estate off the main network? That defeats the whole point of CBC. And Newsworld wouldn't exist without CBC so I'm not sure what your point is.

I know it's trendy to bash CBC but I'd rather get my world news from them than CNN or Fox.

And Beef, the best Canadian comedy in recent years was The Tournament. Best send-up of kids hockey I've ever seen. Brilliant.

Draft saved Draft deleted