1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major crisis in Canada as CBC may drop Hockey Night in Canada Theme Song

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jun 5, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

They cannot do this. It's our second national anthem.

It's my cellphone ring tone.

If my phone went off in a room of 100 people, we'd find the Canadians right away.

Click on the video for the person on the street reaction.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/437636

Paging Elliotte......................

2. KP

KP Active Member

Hockey on CBC, true must see stuff.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think the NBC broadcast is pretty good. Doc Emrick's terrific but I can't watch if because of Pierre McGuire

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

They do this, they lose me forever.

Bastards.

What's next, Tim Horton's stops serving coffee?

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

McGuire is one of the most confounding broadcasters in the business. If you're watching the world juniors, there is no one better. But it's like he drinks a little too much coffee before the NHL broadcasts and he goes way overboard.

The classic moment of the World championships for me is when he was going on and on about Mike Green on defence and Gord Miller cuts in and says "Do you think Dion Phanuef is going to get jealous with the way you're talking about Green?"

6. markvid

markvid Guest

I thought I remember in a book about HNIC, the same thing happened in the 90's no?

7. Wasn't there some news show in Philly that changed its theme song, and so many people complained they had to change it back?

8. markvid

markvid Guest

That would have been WPVI, the ABC affiliate. They changed their Action News theme and put it back.
    At one point, their newcast was getting something like a 60% share, just ridiculous numbers.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There's no way they can change... it's like reducing the alcohol content in the beer...

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I doubt McGuire watches much junior hockey before the WJC, all he knows is what Hockey Canada tells him. Bob McKenzie was much more informed about the junior team when he was Paul Romanuk's (light years better than Gord Miller) colour guy.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What the hell happened to Paul Romanuk?

My favourite call (I can't remember whether it was a junior or a World).

It. Is. Over.

Classic

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

How's about dropping Donald S. Cherry, who is in reruns in his head, and keeping Dolores Claman's little ditty? We even know it in the States.

Draft saved Draft deleted