1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Major" college beat, Birmingham News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Larry Holder, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

As someone who got a very nice call from Tom, his classiness is apparent.

Best of luck to the successful candidate.

RB

2. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

From what I know, Tom has taken the time to contact many of those who applied. Cudos to the new hire, and best wishes to Tom and his staff.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Slappy Pipeline ("40 percent of the time, we're 20 percent right") has learned that the new hire is Don Kausler Jr., a previous Alabama beat writer for The Birmingham News, former sports editor and managing editor of the Birmingham Post-Herald, and former editor of the Anderson (S.C.) Independent-Mail.
    As his first story, maybe he can find out why Bammer only allowed 45 minutes for fans to meet the players, but allowed people to stand in line for hours and not be allowed to get autographs of their favorite players -- as Ms. Slappy, who waited in said line yesterday, was quick to point out. Perhaps said athletic department needs a swift boot in the hindquarter...

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Getting Kausler was an excellent move. I thought he had left the business after Anderson.
    I wasn't there but was informed that they had to get some work in as the reason for the 45-minute meet and greet.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

funny, it was after practice, not before. And that's from someone who was there.

Good luck to Don.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not all work is done of the field slappy. But again, I wasn't there and am actually getting second hand and third hand information.
    Plus if it did come after practice, 45 minutes is a long time for a meet and greet, especially on a hot day.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Certainly a less-than-expected move. Kausler was pushed out in Anderson and didn't have many friends in the building during his last several months.
    That said, I personally know of many people -- myself included -- who worked with him at his various managerial stops along the way because of the kind of reputation he had as a sports guy. Here's hoping he still has that bulldog in him that got him in many a cool arguments with Bear Bryant, etc., during his first stint on the Bama beat. Watching him and Saban go at it could be some good watchin'.
    Get the popcorn ready, folks.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How old is this guy, and when did he first cover Bama?

Just curious.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

It will indeed be interesting to watch Kausler cover this particular beat, requiring a host of multimedia skills. Ian's blog was arguably more valuable than his print work. Not second-guessing. Just saying it will be interesting to watch play out.

RB

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Interesting hire. Best of luck to Don.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Kausler has been big on Internet stuff in the past. Don't assume he won't contribute there because he's a bit balder and more gray than the rest of the beat.
    I fully believe his hardest transition will be rebuilding sources -- as source-building would be tough for anyone coming into this gig from the outside would be.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

I totally agree. Blogging is not that big of a deal. If he's on top of his beat, which he will be, it won't be a problem. As for his sources, I'm sure there are a few skeletons lurking about to point him in the right direction. I'm pleased that a true veteran got a chance at a job. It should happen more often.

Draft saved Draft deleted