1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Major" college beat, Birmingham News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Larry Holder, Jul 10, 2009.

1. BigOleSportsFan

BigOleSportsFan New Member

It'd be much appreciated if someone familiar with the situation here can let us know who lands this gig so the rest of us can get a feel for the marketplace. Thanks.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I feel safe that it will be announced here about as quickly - if not sooner - as it is announced "publicly". Folks are tied in ... ;)

RB

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bama begins practice Thursday. Ray has been covering them and a few have come in for interviews. Maybe something very soon may shake on this one.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What is with "a feel for the marketplace" for every post? Every market is different.

Having said that, the News hires by committee. Their last major opening took from Thanksgiving until Valentine's Day to arrive at a hire.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Surely they aren't going to keep Melick pinned to that beat all through football season.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

My peeps tell me that the EE's trip to Australia has thrown the hiring process a wee bit off kilter. And, as Slappy said above, they tend to be a wee bit deliberate in their hiring practices.

But I am sure Drip was going to post the same thing. ;)

rb

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

University of Georgia at Hahira?

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Nah. I pretty much said what I wanted to say. Just wanted to give an update. Slappy's was more of a comment on what an earlier poster put out there.

10. BigOleSportsFan

How is it possible not to understand what that meant? Clearly, you're not very bright and your name fits you, slappy. Two threads = "every post" in your opinion? Your editor should teach you about word choice. Because you asked, some of us want to know who is getting jobs like these so we can see what kind of experience/talent level it takes to land them in today's marketplace. Of course it varies from job to job. That goes without saying (but you said it anyway). However, when multiple jobs of the same ilk become available around the same time, the credentials of those who get them can give one a good feel for the marketplace. Duh. Thought it was pretty obvious why one would ask that, slappy.

11. Putt4dough

Putt4dough New Member

Wow, did you ever poke the wrong bear. Not a bright move my friend.
    To answer your question - if you're questioning your credentials to land one of those beat jobs, you probably don't have enough. Either way, just send in your stuff and see what happens. It's not complicated, why do people try and make it so? Are you worried you're wasting money on postage?
    Again, if you were looking to shoot your mouth off to somebody - you picked the wrong guy on many levels genius.

12. BigOleSportsFan

If he can dish it I'm sure he can take it. Thanks for the advice vis a vis "just send in your stuff." Not questioning my credentials at all. Weren't boards like these invented to do exactly what my question was aimed at doing?

Draft saved Draft deleted