1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Major" college beat, Birmingham News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Larry Holder, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

How is the paper "pulling out all the stops?" Flying in candidates on a private jet? The SE might get to hire someone without paying a single interviewing expense -- no mileage, no overnight hotel stays. SEC Media Days is Wednesday through Friday in Birmingham's lap, so it's possible they get to interview every serious candidate there.

Pulling out all the stops? Do tell. How, exactly?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Drip, just when I think you've turned the corner, you're back throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks.

Anyone wondering why the News would be pulling out all the stops to fill its most important beat during its most important season lacks an amazing grasp of the obvious.

And with football coming up, of course the hire will be under pressure to perform sooner.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't know what you mean by turning a corner. There is resentment with some staffers about the way this hiring is being made. I don't know who you are or where you get your information from, but I firmly stand behind what I've written. I'm not the answer man about this job but nothing that I've written concerning this post is false.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Slappy, you seem to know a lot. How about telling me what I've written is false?

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I'll take a stab at this ... ANY hiring, at this point in the business, has the potential to be met with skepticism from staffers within. Factor in the level of this beat (No. 1 not just in Sports, but at the entire paper) and that they recently endured payroll cuts ... I can see a sliver of Drip's point.

That said, Drip my friend, I put more stock in what Slappy says in relation to this than you.

RB

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He, of course, has still not answered Charlie Brown's question about pulling out all the stops. Smart money says he never will.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

At least not with a legitimate answer ...

I would strongly suggest that this is a nationwide search - with is in concert with the level of beat. Put another way, feel free to tell me of a *bigger* writing job that has crossed these paths in the past little while ...

RB

8. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Not going to hold my breath.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Slappy may know something about this opening and that's good. However, HE IS NOT the authority on this opening. And NEITHER AM I for that matter.
    As for answering Charles Brown comment, there's really nothing to answer.

10. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, next post on this topic will be an update on the job. I realize there are posts that make us want to smack our heads but we must learn to ignore them on the jobs board. Please. If someone posts after this and it isn't a direct bit of information about the job, there will be hell to pay.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm going to try again and I hope everyone pays attention. This job is too important to a lot of people and there should be movement soon. I don't want it locked.
    NOTHING beyond these posts except actual info about job. No speculation, no bullshit. Surely all of you can follow that, right?
    Don't PM me and blame someone else. Don't think I am not talking to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted