1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Major" college beat, Birmingham News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Larry Holder, Jul 10, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No one is getting shuffled to the Bama beat. Couple people might pinch hit until then. Shuffling might be an option, but I r-e-a-l-l-y doubt it will happen. The hire will be for Bama or the front end of the Slappy Pipeline will be more surprised than anyone can imagine.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

My only question about this is timing. Unless you are single living, in an apartment, and fairly close by, I can't see this one being closed soon. But things have a way of happening fairly quickly in this business.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

My desire was not to idly speculate, but to offer a halfway-informed opinion at the time of posting. As with Slappy, I firmly believe this will be a new hire for the Alabama beat.

RB

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yes, that is the choice but even the best laid plans go astray. If there is speculation on my part, its if the powers that be don't find anyone soon. We are talking about a small window here before camps begin.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i'd be willing to bet that a hire will be forthcoming sooner rather than later, and it will be for the Alabama beat, not a re-shuffling of staff and the hiring of a GA or preps guy.
    that said, even if it doesn't get done right away, they have plenty of veterans who can bridge the gap and the coverage won't suffer.

6. Ian.R.Rapoport

Ian.R.Rapoport New Member

Just wanted to quickly throw my two cents in... Covering Alabama is an insane, difficult, and incredibly rewarding experience. It is a job that does not stop. Ever. I could not imagine doing it at a better place than The Birmingham News. The sports editor, Tom Arenberg, is fantastic when it comes to planning and execution, and he's also understanding that we are, ya know, people. The rest of the staff is similarly sterling.
    As for the actual coverage and work, if you understand that it doesn't really hurt when Nick Saban yells at you, you'll be fine. Anyone interested, feel free to PM me or email me at irapoport@bhamnews.com. I'll be at this address for the next two weeks before my move to the Boston Herald to cover the Pats.

Ian R. Rapoport
    (Soon to be former) UA beat reporter for The News

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What do you know about the job? You don't even call him "Coach."

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Fess up. You didn't want to deal with Grant?

9. Ian.R.Rapoport

Ian.R.Rapoport New Member

I am actually seriously upset that I'm missing out on Grant... In my first (and only) one-on-one with him, the first thing he did was congratulate me on getting married a few weeks before and asked all about my wife. Clearly, an SID mentioned it to him, but you gotta like that anyway. Plus, he's the most grammatically accurate coach I've ever interviewed. (Unnamed coach with bad grammar), he's not.

*Edited to protect the integrity of unnamed coach

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That's Anthony. He's never unprepared for ANYTHING.
    As meticulous as they come. You ever see his handwriting? He could fit War and Peace, legibly, on an index card.

11. That job posting was removed from J Jobs. Is it still available or did they just take it down b/c there were so many applications?

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

There is a little resentment by some at the paper regarding the way this hire is going. With the suits claiming money is tight, some are wondering why they are pulling out all of the stops to fill the position. As a result, the person who gets this may be under a little bit more pressure to produce sooner than later.

Draft saved Draft deleted