1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Major" college beat, Birmingham News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Larry Holder, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Several things come into play here.
    The starting pay is going to be good but not better than it would've been prior to this recent economic downturn. There is a sense of urgency to get someone on the beat quickly since the season is getting ready to start. It is the highest profiled beat on the paper.
    A wise move would be to shuffle a few people around and make a hire for smaller-profiled beat, ie. GA or even preps. That would keep the staff's continuity in check and would be cost effective for the bean counters.
    Just suggestin

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

RB, the best story I heard about Steve Townsend was that it was his job to be Logan Young's caddy when he came to Tuscaloosa, to keep him out of trouble.

Also, his office phone number is not listed in the Alabama athletic department directory. You have to call the AD's secretary and get switched over. I think that's to keep track of who he's talking to, but Townsend is famous for not being able to keep his mouth shut.

And JM, I want to say Ian's from Westchester County, though I could be wrong about that. It's definitely somewhere just outside NYC.

3. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Here's a suggestion: You don't have to post on every thread as if you know the paper, the beat, the financial health of the paper or chain and the needs of the SE. Everything you posted is speculation or pretty obvious, and it would keep these threads more lean if you didn't post on every single one of them as if you're the go-to guy for inside information.

I'm pretty sure the Birmingham News will figure it out.

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Charles, I may be in the loop more than you think. Also, there is an ignore button that you are free to use at any time. The information that is spread by me is no different than the information shared by others.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Plus Birmingham is a Newhouse paper. The chains have all had their struggles, but some Newhouse properties appear to have weathered the storm better than others. This appears to be one of them.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not singling out RB here, his was just the last post on it.
    No speculation here.
    I have a very good source who confirmed this job is for the Alabama beat. I think the source is impeccable.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

This is also not speculation. It would be nice to fill it with someone with either Alabama or SEC ties but if that's not possible, a shuffle would be a logical move.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A little help from the class please?

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Drip, listen to what Slap says. He would know.

I've also heard from someone who would know (not Slap) that this is indeed for the Alabama beat, no ifs, ands or buts. If you can believe it, The News' reasoning for wording the ad like they did was to avoid scaring off those candidates who might not be able to stomach working that closely with Nick Saban all the time (which is not as bad as some would make you think it is).

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think there is a tendacy on this board to read what you think is there and then react.
    I didn't dispute anything slappy said and but I'm not on the outside looking in on this situation either.
    Yes the job is for the Bama beat but if the right fit can't be found fairly, a shuffling of a few beats might be utilized. It is a possibility and a viable option for the powers that be.
    There really isn't anything to debate about.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Don't you think they might be able to figure it out eventually?

Draft saved Draft deleted