1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Major" college beat, Birmingham News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Larry Holder, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Larry Holder

Larry Holder New Member

I know the discussion already started on the other board, but here's the posting:

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1071585

There probably won't be much interest in this gig. It might only draw about 10,000 resumes or so. ;D

Good luck to all as I could come up with too many qualified candidates who would be great for this job.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Damn, the UAB beat opened up again? What happened to Irvine?

Seriously, I would imagine SEC Media Days will serve as a de facto job fair for this position, just as it did for the Mobile job a few years ago.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know of one guy they have already talked to about it. Easily the best beat on the paper but it does require a lot of time in Tuscaloosa.

4. Steak Snabler

Ian lived in Tuscaloosa, and I'd assume the next guy would be encouraged, if not required, to do so as well.

5. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

And Bloomington is no longer the prettiest girl in the class ...

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ian did a great job and should do an even better job covering the Patriots this fall.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Whoever gets this job, just continue the tradition of calling the head coach "Nick" instead of "Coach..."
    Pisses the 75-year-old radio talk-show call-in Bammers off to no end.

8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

He's a great guy, hustled on the beat and broke a lot of good news. He'll do well with the Pats.

9. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Bloomington itself is soooooooooooo much prettier than ANYTHING in 'Bama.

So there's now a hot football chick and a hot basketball chick at the same dance. Let's enjoy the both — and pass Red Bulls to those dissecting resumes.

10. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

Just wondering here, but could the fact that they didn't specify this opening is for the Bama beat in the ad indicate they may shuffle one of their other college writers over and have the newbie cover AU or UAB?

11. Steak Snabler

I kind of doubt that. The current UAB writer gave up the Bama beat voluntarily a few years ago and the Auburn writer is pretty well entrenched on that beat.

But it is interesting the way they worded it. My guess it was to throw off those who "want to cover Alabama," in favor of those who "want to cover a major beat."

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

It certainly is possible that they could shuffle Steve Irvine (the current UAB guy) back to the Alabama beat -- though I *know* Steve is way happier covering the Blazers like the morning dew.

Another possibility would be to move Doug Segrest -- who is a roaming GA guy with tons o' talent -- to Tuscaloosa and fill his spot with the vast amount of resumes they are sure to get on this one.

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted