1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major change in our newsroom. But how did THIS happen?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Jul 14, 2007.

1. I can get my own water. Usually there will be a photog and a reporter there. One of us can leave the scene and get the other something to drink.

I was once out at a huge catastrophe and all the tv people were eating the food Red Cross is offering. WTF is that all about? That food wasn't purchased for fucking talking heads with nothing invested in the tragedy other than they have to sit in the goddamned sun.

Call me self-righteous all you guys want, but you know what? I'm not going to make a questionable decision to quiet some temporary discomfort. Bring your own water, bring your own lunch ... whatever.

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

I do understand some of your points, especially certain people offering reporters stuff to hopefully sway your judgment in your coverage. However, I find it amusing when y'all take something, even if you don't want to, and it doesn't affect your coverage, which is the way it's supposed to be. I love that. I like thinking about some uppity official sitting back and thinking, "I gave that news reporter such-and-such and he still wrote that story exposing our corruption." So, not only is he exposed, he's out a $20 gift certificate to the local country club or whatever.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Ok, I'll play ... give me one, then. Answer my question: How do I eat lunch and dinner while covering a game?

I'll save you one answer: Can't go to the concession stand. This is a major college football stadium. If wouldn't take me about a quarter to hit the concession stand during the game.

So now I'm not watching the game I'm supposed to cover, just because I want to stick to my "principles." What's funny is, even if I did that, the PR flaks who handle the media meal wouldn't know whether I ate it or not. They'd just assume I did, because nobody in history has ever turned it down before. But hey, at least I get to be an ultra-principled pioneer.

You've cited some examples about how sports guys don't understand a news guy's job, and you're spot on in most cases. This is an example of how a news guy doesn't understand a sports guy's job.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Well, that I understand. I can agree that eating food intended for disaster victims is wrong. Glad we could find some common ground there ;)

5. I actually like you spnited, but just once would it hurt to include less name calling and a helluva lot more point in your posts? So one on one is a no-no but I can cover a banquet and eat what I want without paying for it just because I haven't eaten all day? That makes it OK?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm not talking about a banquet. You are questioning media room/pressbox food and acting as if eating a meal means you're in the home team's pocket. That is just absurd.
    As for your contention about what the public thinks, when does the public happen to see what's going on in the media room and/or pressbox?

7. If you can't eat, you can't eat. Wouldn't be the first time I didn't have time to eat.

Wow, didn't realize I was so hard-core ...

8. What they don't know won't hurt 'em, huh? Wow.

How is a banquet different from a game? Neither are one on one? Why can you eat for free at the game but I can't at a banquet? I'm in their pocket but your not?

Bottom line is we're independent. We don't eat other people's food that we don't pay for.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Yeah, that's not a very good answer. Seriously, I respect many of your thoughts/opinions on this thread and elsewhere, but you're just wrong here. Sorry.

If you're advocating fasting to avoid taking a press box hot dog or whatever, you ARE hard core. At least, you're more hard core than anybody I've ever worked for, with or alongside.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You did say it was all about appearances, didn't you?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wow! you just keep getting farther and farther out there on this topic.
    No sense even discussing this any more.
    You obviously are far superior to all of us with your impeccable ethical standards

12. donaugust

donaugust Member

In front of whom, the other writers in the box? Wow -- get the bee out of your bonnet.

Draft saved Draft deleted