1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major change in our newsroom. But how did THIS happen?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Jul 14, 2007.

1. I don't know if you're being sarcastic but it's a good question all the same. I'm leaning on the side of using the cart. You're not personaly benefiting from it, you're using it to get better access so you can do your job. Most spectators are just there to sit and watch anyway.

What did you do?

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Well, I used the cart, of course. If I was just following one group, I could have walked, but day one of a four-day tourney involves so much jumping from group to group that it's logistically tough not to.

I'm being semi-sarcastic, yes. But that's how blurry the lines are on these sorts of things. I guess that's the point I'm getting at. :)

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

You can use the cart as long as you don't accept a free bottle of water when it's 100 degrees.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i had one golf tourney i covered once a year like clockwork. took the laptop, filed the story, then the boys at the country club fed me steak with plenty of booze to wash it down with.

would still be covering that tourney to this day if i still lived there ... still would be eating the steak and drinking their gin and tonics, too.

good bunch of guys that i actually got to know only because of our postgolf socializing. gave me several more contacts throughout the community.

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Look, if there is food at an event, and I'm hungry, I'm eating. I don't care if it's a coke and popcorn or a spread at n NFL game.

Am I letting it influence my coverage? Are you freakin' kidding me? What a ridiculous assumption from someone who obviously hasn't been around much. I don't think I've ever seen a sportswriter turn down a free meal or free swag.

I write my story the same way regardless.

And Cosmo, I'm with you. I always use a cart, I'm not paying for it because it helps my work. And, gasp, I get free water when it's 90 degrees outside!!!

And does the public really take the time to think whether we're eating or not before a game? I doubt they really give two shits.

6. beanpole

beanpole Member

The public doesn't think about it. But your sources do.

Just ask the DI basketball coach who had a news conference at a bar, plied the press with drinks and gave away gift bags to everyone there. When one guy didn't take the bag, the coach asked, "Then how am I supposed to trust you?" True story.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Eat dinner if you need to. Eat dinner if you need to work your sources. But your papers should be paying the bill.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I love me some gift bags.
    What were in them?
    Last one I got just had a plexiglass thing that looks pretty cool and that was it.
    I was going to sell it on eBay, but I don't know how.

Draft saved Draft deleted