1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major AP style changes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The thing that drives me most insane about the AP is the poor editing on anything that isn't baseball, football and -- maybe, on a good day -- men's college basketball. The women's basketball and horse racing stories, in particular, are just terrible.

I don't appreciate having to take a fine tooth comb through an AP story that was supposed to have already been copy edited when I'm on deadline.

2. dm19

dm19 Member

I completely agree with you. We don't say Mexican states because frankly, they're a third-world country and no one cares. Simple as that. A lot of Americans learn where cities in Canada are by reading newspapers. Plus, why does it make sense to say ...

"MOOSE JAW, Canada -- This Saskatchewan city was shocked today by a total lack of ice on their once thriving hockey ponds."

I jest with the lead, but honestly, why not just put Saskatchewan in the damn dateline if you're going to eventually have to say it somewhere in the story anyway!?!?!?! Note to AP: YOU. ARE. RETARDS!

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that anyone would call to complain about that.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I can remember discussions about ignoring certain AP style directives I've had with reporters when I was an editor.

On some things, I returned to AP style. On others, I wouldn't budge.

This would be one of those times I wouldn't budge.

Fuck the AP.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. This is dumb. You have in-house style. Then AP. Then Webster's.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I'm no longer surprised when anyone calls to complain about anything.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

AP just sent out a note that there will be a change to a few datelines starting next week. The big one? Ottawa no longer stands alone in a dateline.

Effective May 17, the AP will restore country names to these international datelines: Bogota, Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Kabul and Oslo. The province was restored for Ottawa, Ontario, in Canada.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Why not just be consistent and put country names on everything since we ar dumbing it all down.

Why not LOS ANGELES, California or LONDON, England (there is, after all, a London, Ontario among others).

Who are they to say what cities should stand alone and what should not?

9. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Two things I've noticed. No dashes, at all. When someone goes 5-for-4 and it's 5 for 4 in the AP copy, it's just wrong.
    Also, I've noticed a lot of says. It's said, AP. Past tense.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

We don't use dashes unless it is a modifier. He went 4 for 5. His 4-for-5 performance lifted his batting average to .300.

But the present tense thing is killing me. The Bengals have signed JaMarcus Russell. Take out the f***in' have.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

12. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted