1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major AP style changes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've actually received complaints from readers who claimed I was wrong for not using the postal abbreviations.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

FNORD, Wisconsin (AP) --

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

As have I.

"IT'S IL. NOT ILL." some woman screamed at me one day.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

If it's big enough that your outlet has already been beaten to shreds by your competition, then your SE and/or his higher ups must already know he missed it.

If it's not, then you should be able to do the story now as if it was yours to begin with.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wrong thread, Jimmy; at least that's my guess

6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

As far as Canada, I disagree, but it's a geographic thing. You can look across the river and see Canada from our paper's coverage area. We've even done some coverage from the islands on the Canadian side of the river, and are covering the issue of whether two more bridges will be added between our countries.

We also get the local CBC station here in our corner of the lower 48 ("Hockey Night in Canada," anyone?). And, our AME spent most of her childhood in Canada (she and her sisters buried their parents' ashes there two summers ago). I can see not using the state for, say, Australia, but Canada? Keep on using them.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Situations like this are why every paper should have its own style guide with exceptions to AP style. The most obvious one at most papers is that cities within your own state stand alone. And in somewhere like Dallas, Georgia, for example, you would override the AP rule that says the Dallas in Texas stands alone.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

So, AP, when I see Victoria, Canada, is that the Victoria in British Columbia, Newfoundland or Ontario? When I see Windsor, Canada, is that the Windsor in Nova Scotia, Ontario or Quebec?

IDIOTS!

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I guess for Canada it's only fair. You don't see the dateline "MEXICALI, Baja Calif. (AP) —"

The old policy could raise eyebrows for some, and it's probably the main reason why the AP is changing it.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Burn the heretic!

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Plus, don't the Quebecois take offense to not being identified with their province?

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Agree with whoever said the reason for this is AP writers can't remember the state abbreviations themselves. Only reason I can see for this dumb decision.

Another nit to pick: The Walmart stores have dropped the dash. AP, please take note.

Draft saved Draft deleted