1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mailer Story in Esquire...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

... and no, I'm not plugging my own shit.

But in the January issue -- online now -- there's a great story by Tom Junod about Norman Mailer. I'd link it if I knew how... Just go to esquire.com, and it's right there near the top. LAST MAN STANDING.

Reading it just now, even though there's a thread of sadness in it -- Norman's damn old, and he uses two canes, and he nearly dies each time he climbs the stairs to his apartment -- I found it incredibly inspirational: It made me want to live life, to fight, to write big.

If you're a Mailer fan (and I still believe The Naked and the Dead is one of the great novels), you'll enjoy it, I think. Even if you're not a Mailer fan, you might get something out of it, especially if you're in a rut or you need a little spark. It's a good writer writing about another good writer, mostly about his writing. Fucking A.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I look forward to reading the article, but I won't until my issue comes in the mail.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Are you getting paid by the web hit now? I'm already inked through 2008, how much more cash do you guys need?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Wait, you can subscribe to Esquire directly!?! I've been sending $5 each month directly to Jones so he'll Xerox articles and mail them to me. He's quite good about it. I should be getting the September issue any day now.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Does he leave the pictures of the women in?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There are pictures of women in Esquire?

Damn it Jones, I want my money back! And not in Canadian dollars either.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Jonesy, I already told you Junod is my favorite writer at that rag. Can't wait until my issue comes in the mail.

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Didn't Mailer do a book about a guy on death row in Utah? Gary Gilmore? I recall having read that in college. I then picked up his space book, but I left it in the rear of my Ford Festiva, and it was covered in a thick green mold the next time I saw it. Just to complete the story, the library sent me a bill for that about a year ago. That would be 2005. The book was due in 1998. I guess they're under-staffed.

10. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Wow, I just got the issue today as I left for work and didn't notice the story being in there. I cannot WAIT to get home and read it, even if it describes how far gone Mailer is now. Saw him at a narrative journalism conference two years ago. He remains the only man other than my father to truly intimidate me from saying even a word to him.

11. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

I can't bring myself to read something that long (even though I know it will be amazing, as are all of Junod's pieces) on the Web.

I tried. I can't.

Hurry up, mailman.

12. Jones

Jones Active Member

Heddy, did you click the link? (Thanks sportschick.) Otherwise, you owe me a nickel.

Inky, the Gestetner won't do women. But the ink... It smells so sweet.

And Heiney, I think the first book you're talking about is The Executioner's Song (although I'm totally ashamed to say that I haven't yet read it). His space book is Of a Fire on the Moon. That one, I have read. If the library doesn't charge you $217,898.34 for losing it, you should check it out again. It's a spicy meatball.

Draft saved Draft deleted