1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maher outs Mehlman; CNN censors

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Nov 10, 2006.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Your concession is noted as you again make a blanket statement because their isn't a single case out there in any single court where a US citizen is suing the federal government for their phone call being listened in on. And your continued blanket statements show you know it, too.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The average citizen has no verifiable proof against this government that he's being eavesdropped upon. But that sure as fuck doesn't mean it's not happening.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I admittedly don't have the context, but what was Maher's point in "outing" Mehlman?

My first reaction is that it is a total dick move to violate someone's privacy like that, and I'm liberal as the day is long. Don't really care whether annoying-ass Randi Rhodes has done it before or not.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter if my calls have been eavesdropped on or whether they will ever be eavesdropped on, or if it's the case with anybody. That they could be eavesdropped on is enough of an aggregious sin against the Constitution.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Some day, look up hypocrisy... please.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Point is that the party is vociferously anti-gay.

7. Bubbler

Figured that was it.

Still a dick move.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Bill Maher is a rogue swimmer who doesn't fit neatly into any phyla. He's as liberal as Lars Larson, and about just as funny. I can't believe anyone still watches his show.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I don't think so at all.

10. Bubbler

I look at this as a two wrong's don't make a right situation. Mehlman may very well be an asshole hypocrite. But Maher's public outing of him is, to me, no better an action -- and a grandstanding, exploitive one at that. I say this under the assumption that Mehlman wanted his sex life kept private.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Actually, if you ever cared to look at things as they really are instead of just reading DNC talking points, you'd note that the GOP is not anti gay. But what we on the right are against is granting special rights to specific interest groups. Every right is a right for every American.

You want to talk about anti-gay? Which side is doing all the outing now?

12. Herbert Anchovy

Um, within the Bush cabal, specific interest groups have been afforded the most special of rights for six years.

Draft saved Draft deleted