1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

magnolia state finals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by albert77, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Back in the day, Blitz, there were five Texas state champions, plus the six-man champ.

It was better then.

They'd play 'em at different stadiums, too, unlike in Mississippi, all of 'em at Miss. Veterans Memorial, aka the home of Jackson State's Sonic Boom. The hornets' nest in the press box are always a nice touch for the Soul Bowl vs. Alcorn.

They should play the small classes at MC or Belhaven or something.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Now you have 12 public school state champions in Texas.

But don't forget the 6 in TAPPS, the 2 in TCAF and the 2 in the SPC!

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

South Panola is raining all over Oak Grove's parade in the Mississippi Class 6A title game tonight in Jackson, but Mother Nature is snowing over both of them. There's actual accumulation on the field and the flurries are picking up.

4. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

I'm guessing this is the first time an MHSAA championship game has been played in the snow.

5. Del_B_Vista

I'm always hesitant to "ever" in cases like this, but the fact that there haven't been state championships in Mississippi *that* long makes it less likely there had been snow.

6. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

In any event, the weather almost made that game watchable. Every time I looked up, South Panola was scoring another touchdown. Lance Pogue said it after the game, and it's true -- that's one that people will remember 30 or 40 years from now.
    Of course, the fact that people down here can remember every snowfall for the past 30 years doesn't hurt either :D

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Did the elevator work this year? Or did it freeze up?

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

No, it worked, but I stupidly still made two trips up the stadium steps because I didn't want to wait for the elevator. You'd think I'd learn.

BTW, Steve Jr. did have one nice play, a 95-yd TD on a kickoff return, but for the most part, Panola kept him and his compadres under wraps while their stable of backs ran all over the Grovers' undersized defense. The bad news for anyone with championship aspirations in 6A next year: USP returns 16 starters.

9. Del_B_Vista

The St. Stanislaus Rockachaws/Fighting Favres, barring a huge collapse, are gonna win their first state title. Up 28-9 midway through fourth quarter.

10. Del_B_Vista

And Dylan Favre just iced it with an interception from his safety position.

What?!? This isn't a running thread?

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Del, I saw Favre a couple of weeks ago, and he can play for my college team. I don't care how big he is, the kid's an ath-a-lete.

12. Del_B_Vista

I think I saw him once last year and he's made some pretty significant strides since then. Everything then was pretty much quick WR screens and slants. I never really saw him throw downfield too much, but he made a bunch of nice deep throws. He also squeezed a 20-yard-or-so TD pass today in a pretty tight window with a safety coming over and really gunned it in.

Draft saved Draft deleted