1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Magic numbers? Roll your own, AP says.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Sep 19, 2010.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

AP agate desk says "they'll try" to get baseball magic numbers out there "sometime this week." Better hurry, as the White Sox magic number is 5, per MLB.com.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Back in the old days, you could set your watch by this little old lady who would call up our shop's desk every September asking "what does 'magic number' mean?"

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Wild card standings would be nice, too.

Meanwhile, for those scoring at the office:

http://baseball.about.com/od/termstatglossar1/a/magicnumber.htm

4. HejiraHenry

I heard about this lady who scored at our office. They asked her to clean out her desk.

5. HanSenSE

Did security at least get a videotape?

I recall calling AP last year about wild card standings, got referred to Stats LLC and was told they were part of the expanded glance. Would it be that difficult to provide a customer some service?

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I wish that were true, Henry, but the sad truth for us Chi-Sox fans is ... Minnesota's magic number is 4 after Chicago just lost its sixth straight at home. :(

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ummm... Ever hear of MLB.com? Click on standings and there's a category called E#. That's the magic number to eliminate that team. Look at the second-place team's E# and that's the magic number to clinch the division -- without having to do the math.

8. HejiraHenry

Yes. But I tell you what I've heard of, and it's that $125K check we send the AP every year. And for that, we expect a certain basic and predictable level of service. And drag-assing until Sept. 20 before starting magic numbers, for instance, ain't getting it.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I know of one magic number that hasn't changed in two days. :( (EDIT: Make it four. :mad: )

<--------

10. HanSenSE

Amen, bro!

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

AP's customer service is so gawd awful...

Draft saved Draft deleted