1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Magazine Writing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HeinekenMan, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

Can't emphasize how much it helps to have a truly unique story for your initial pitch. I get queries all the time from people that give me obvious story ideas that we've either already done or decided not to do months before.

If someone asks you to submit a full story before you're guaranteed anything, I'd move on right away.

Most of all, be professional in your pitch...and contrary to some earlier advice, I wouldn't nag or pester an editor. If your story interests me, I'm going to follow up. If you continually push an idea that I had no interest in, I'm going to shut the door completely.

If you do get a hit, don't be afraid to push a little then. An editor might pigeonhole you into a certain topic, geography, etc. Let them know your interest/expertise outside of your first story.

2. Perhaps my use of the word "pest" wasn't a good one. But I do think it helps to be persistent -- to follow up on an initial query -- and to look for another idea, or another place to pitch, if an editor says no. It's been my experience that editors like Blue_Water are rare. They don't tend to get back to you quickly, because they have a lot to worry about.

Draft saved Draft deleted