1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Magary on Manziel: Talk about throwing stones in glass houses

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jul 17, 2013.

1. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

People accept the Heisman? Isn't it awarded? I can't wait to see the first guy said, "I can't accept this trophy. I know I was the most outstanding player, but I don't want that sort of attention. Surely by turning down an award that can't really be turned down, no more attention will come my way."

Then again, after asking how a college football player gets alcohol, if he's carded, reminding us there are rules (there's also a rule against driving a mile per hour over the speed limit, definitely a massive deal if it's broken) and an appeal to the role model factor, I catch a whiff of trolling.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Manziel's two biggest sins have been:

1. Disrespecting the Mannings by sleeping (apparently after a night of boozing) and getting booted from their QB camp.

2. Sending a tweet saying "this is why I can't wait to leave College Station."

People will accept drinking and fighting from football players but screwing over Peyton Manning and acting as if College Station isn't heaven on earth are hard to forgive.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

On a side note, Mark May wonders why his ears are burning today
    in the wake of his "STOP BRINGING SHAME TO THE GAME!" tweet.

From Romenesko: http://bit.ly/15LgQ6Q

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Mark May is permanently disqualified from criticizing college players for their behavior because he once misbehaved as a college player?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Surely you can understand the hypocrisy involved here. (I know the idea of "hypocrisy" draws almost as much debate as "irony" around here, but I think this one fits.)

That is a fucking riot about May.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wish there was social media when Brian Bosworth was playing.

Manziel's biggest issue is that he's not being handled very well. I think there are SIDs who would have been able to spin his early departure a lot better than A&M did, which seemed to only go into damage control mode.

7. Mizzougrad96

If Manziel played for Alabama or Florida, it wouldn't be on twitter every time he set foot in a bar.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Shit, if he played at Florida it wouldn't even make the news when he shot somebody.

9. Mizzougrad96

There aren't too many guys who win the Heisman and then return to school. Obviously, Manziel and Tebow didn't have a choice in the matter, but you're dealing with a different level of celebrity when that happens. A&M has had a lot of great players, but none were as "famous" as Manziel is.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's OK to laugh once in a while, Dickie.

But go ahead and show us where I said, "Mark May is permanently disqualified from criticizing college players for their behavior because he once misbehaved as a college player."

11. Mizzougrad96

It is pretty hypocritical to rip a guy for getting into trouble when you did the same thing as a college player.

Last I checked, Manziel hasn't been arrested.

12. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Why are so many people in our profession convinced its their job to act as the morally smug douche? College sports is a cesspool of corruption and phony posturing. Would May ever dream of posting something like that about Utban Meyer? The players have no power, so the media needs them not. Other than to supply the actual entertainment, that is.

Draft saved Draft deleted