1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Magary on Manziel: Talk about throwing stones in glass houses

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jul 17, 2013.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Drew Magary believes Johnny Manziel is being unfairly scrutinized.

http://deadspin.com/america-is-ruining-johnny-football-802185460

Funny coming from a web site that has breathlessly posted every photo from every bar, beach, beer pong contest and basketball game Johnny Football has graced since he won the Heisman. Aren't they fueling the situation?

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Another great Magary rip job, though. I read it with glee. :D

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Several of which are linked within Magary's column ...

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

This idea that the media will ruin Manziel ignores the fact that Manziel was already a problem child before he hit it big.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Fueling? Perhaps. But Deadspin is consistently non-judgmental in those posts. Deadspin's stance has long been that college stars should be allowed to take even further advantage of their celebrity and talents. They post those photos because readers want them, not because they're taking an editorial stance on them.

Your language exemplifies the problem. How was he a "problem child"? Because he did things many others do that you disapprove of? Did he negatively affect Texas A&M football?

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, for one, he was caught drinking under-aged when he was 16, by his father's admission. There was an article on ESPN.com last year that detailed how his father bought him a Mercedes for his first car, then yanked it away when he was busted drinking. Then there was the incident last year before he got the starting job (fake ID, fight, etc.) that he recently pled guilty to.
    How does that not negatively affect A&M football?
    I also wonder how Johnny F. is pounding so much booze, especially in College Station? Do they not card? I get it that you can drink at 20 in Cabo.
    Bottom line: No one, especially Johnny F. can complain about the level of scrutiny that he's receiving, when he puts himself out there time and again with the tweets and the apparent uncaring attitude over who's taking cell phone pictures of him when he's partying.

Manziel all but has a sign on him screaming "Look at Me!" then complains when people actually do that.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

About three-quarters of my high school friends regularly drank underage, and about half of them were caught by their parents. About half of my friends in college had a fake ID. Several of my friends were involved in small bar fights. Most of those friends are pretty successful young professionals now.

Quit imposing your morals on a young man who hasn't screwed up his life at all. He sure did a lot of horrible things that led up to winning the Heisman Trophy. Maybe he should be drinking and fighting more.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Texans sure did like that Bobby Layne fella,
    but this Aggies kid has got a wild streak in him.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is hondo seriously trying to say there's something major wrong with Manziel because he got caught drinking when he was 16?

Rent Porky's, hondo. It's a good movie.

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I don't even know where to begin...

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

How about begin with the part where you have to be 21 to drink.
    I get all you apologists who claim every college student is drinking underaged (which they aren't ... not all at least). Granted. But the day Johnny's life takes a turn for the better will be the day he realizes he's not every college student. In addition to being against the law, I'm pretty sure it's against Texas A&M rules to drink underage at any time. Apparently Kevin Sumlin simply doesn't want to address this.
    To sum it up: Manziel got busted for underaged drinking at 16. He is obviously doing that every chance he gets at 17, 18, 19 and 20. His parents, Sumlin and seemingly every bartender in College Station is enabling this, although Sumlin did say today that Manziel has made some serious mistakes.
    There's going to be a crash and burn coming here. Don't say anyone didn't warn you.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Things I learned from this thread:

1) When the tour guides at freshman orientation said it was a dry campus, there might actually have been people in the audience who believed them.

2) If those people in the audience were related to hondo.

Draft saved Draft deleted