1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Magary: Is the NFL blacklisting Kerry Rhodes?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by H.L. Mencken, Sep 13, 2013.

1. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Magary is is often a shrieking child, but this was a very interesting point. Kluwe and Ayanbadejo being unemployed is understandable. But Rhodes should be on a roster somewhere.

http://deadspin.com/is-the-nfl-blacklisting-kerry-rhodes-1300128496

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

This is like giving the clown at the county fair a moment of serious consideration.
    Magary should stick to the act he cribbed from his betters.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That is a darn good point. I hadn't thought of him, but there is definitely some safety play that is lacking.

Also a weird story in that NYT, SI and the rest can't really go after it because they are kind of stuck pretending all that Media Takeout stuff didn't happen.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd forgotten about Rhodes. I just assumed he was on someone's roster.

As LTL pointed out, it's hardly surprising that Ayanbadejo and Kluwe aren't on rosters, but Rhodes is another story.

Teams hate anything that even sniffs of a distraction.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Teams don't like players that stink.
    Rhodes is not good enough to play.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Did you read Magary's post? Rhodes does not stink and the numbers bear that out. And whose act did he crib? I think he's pretty damn funny when he writes about sports, though there's plenty of things he writes (poop stories) that I have no interest in reading.

7. Mizzougrad96

Rhodes isn't a star, but he should be on a roster. He'd be starting on probably at least half of the teams in the league.

8. Mizzougrad96

The comparison that is spot on... Rhodes is a much better safety than Riley Cooper is a receiver.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I too assumed Rhodes was playing somewhere. He's from the part of the country where I went to college and does a lot of charity work in the offseason, and this summer was confident he'd land a job somewhere.

That said, if you want people to take your column seriously, I'd pick a better name than "NFL Dick Joke Jamboroo."

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wrong.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Florio tweeted later today that part of the problem might be Rhodes pricing himself out of the market.

OutSports doesn't think he's getting blackballed ... http://www.outsports.com/2013/9/13/4727332/kerry-rhodes-not-banned-by-the-nfl-because-of-gay-rumors

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Kluwe got beaten out for the Raiders job, and there aren't very many punter openings. Ayandadejo is 37 years old, which is ancient in the NFL.

Rhodes also had a bit of a reputation for upsetting coaches with his attitude early in his career, which may, or may not be a factor here.

Draft saved Draft deleted