1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maese and ESPN - is idea stolen?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sysimms, Jul 5, 2006.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

Well, I sure don't give a carp.

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

Because every columnist bats 1.000.

Maese is a solid reporter and a talented writer, and most important, he's a good guy. He has already gone plenty far in this business; he will go farther. Get your knives out if it makes you feel better, but I gotta say, this thread reads like so much petty bullshit.

The no-name kissass who hacked on Poz, he deserves your scorn.

Maese -- really, for this? -- does not.

3. Speaking of ESPN, anyone else think the player identified as J.R. Smith in their main picture on their web site looks a lot like Marcus Fizer?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It is Fizer. Wonder how long it takes them to figure that out.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Disagree on point one; there is zero crossover readership. As long as it is in the writer's own work, tone, voice.

Totally agree on point two.

6. Good, good stuff there.

Also, I'm curious if anyone griping about the column actually read it. It's not useless. Nor is it a piece simply about his TV writing habits. He uses the angle to show how much ESPN has infiltrated our culture on multiple levels. We all know this, but don't really think about it as much as we would while actually trying to dodge coverage on TV, radio and the web. It does what a good column should -- entertains while using a small picture to make a bigger point.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If you thought that was entertaining you must not read a lot of good opinion writing.

8. Or, perhaps, my opinion of what constitutes it differs from yours.

9. Herbert Anchovy

ESPN's stranglehold on our culture is as trite and cliched a hook for a piece of sports journalism as there presently exists.

You'd better do something creative -- some might say original -- to make that either entertaining or edifying for readers. Because as it goes, it's a ready-made pre-packaged TV dinner, and they know it. They're not stupid.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Lee, just curious how old you are? Maese is around my age, maybe a bit younger. And I think people around my age block would better identify. We're the ones that generally (though I don't) have Sportscenter on all the time, go read Simmons and everyone at ESPN.com and stuff like that. Not all of us, but a good chunk of us. Especially the ones of my age block that don't work in sports, but that have boring ass office jobs from 9-5 that lets them get home just in time to watch PTI over pizza. Those guys can identify with a column like that. When I call my friends like that they're the ones who have Sportscenter in the background on the phone, or who go to a bar just to watch a game, or ask if I'm watching this game or that game when they call. I'm pretty sure that column wasn't written for you because you can't identify with it the same way many others can.

11. Herbert Anchovy

I'm not much older than you or him, in the demographic you're talking about but not of it. The younger guys I know just want to read about sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted