1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Madoff...Stanford...so is there any chance the next name on the list is...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Mar 9, 2009.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My original point was not to say that Warren Buffett is running a Ponzi scheme; it was to point out that we've learned thanks to people like Barry Bonds and A-Rod and Stanford and Madoff and Floyd Landis and Roger Clemens (and some would argue Lance Armstrong and even Tiger Woods) that if someone is head-and-shoulders above the rest in the world of finance or the world of sport, then their amazing success must be met with a raised eye-brow or two.

Does that mean Berkshire's a fraud? No. But nor does it mean that the company and Buffett must be taken at face value. The transparency of Wall Street that "is available 24 hours a day" didn't do much to protect shareholders of Lehman Brothers or Countrywide or a whole host of other companies that proved to be not what we all thought they were.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I appreciate Buffett's candor in admitting his mistakes.

I laughed at him during the dot-com boom when he refused to buy in because of the out of whack P/E ratios. My buddies and I said "what a tool, who cares about P/E (notwithstanding our undergrad Econ classes) when the stock is going up 10 pts today?" Then the bubble burst and with the amounts I salvaged, I promptly bought the Berkshire/Hathaway B stock and made some fantastic gains for a couple of years. If you cannot beat them, join them.

Draft saved Draft deleted