1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Madoff investor found dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

When does this guy get involved?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If I didn't visit the NYPost every morning online, I would have no idea who is Madoff.

This story is as fascinating on so many levels as the Vick story. I just do not see it getting huge national coverage. I guess the timing is wrong.

A buddy of mine is a member of the country club Madoff cruised, and he said the day the story broke a good number of members just dropped out of the club. His tone reminded me of the tone I heard when I was 10 and the steel mills were closing left and right.

His family lost "a small percentage" in the deal, but to think that no one in insulated in these times gives me an uneasy feeling.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Gotta wonder where $49 billion was funneled to. My guess is it went overseas. Hmm, Saudi Arabia perhaps?

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

When the robots come for you. And they will.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

To other investors. Most of it was probably lost in the stock market and he was scurrying to pay the others off.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yet he was able to post a $10 million bond.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It was a Ponzi scheme. The later investors paying in as the earlier investors took their money out.

Same exact way the United States social security system works.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yikes...

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Poin, I know it's a Ponzi scheme, but I'm gonna reckon that not all that cash went to pay off investors or to feed his sense of excess.

$50 billion is a lot of loot to just turnstyle through.

I can't wait for the book.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The $50 billion includes supposed "profits" of ~10% a year (at least per WSJ this morning). He apparently quit investing years ago. So I as understand it, there was never anything close to $50 billion in actual assets.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I refuse to start a new thread.

The Elie Wiesel Foundation lost almost all of its assests in this scheme.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081224/ts_alt_afp/usfinancefraudwieselfoundation_081224163605

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh man. That's awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted