1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Madisonville, Kentucky sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by big green wahoo, Feb 27, 2008.

1. From JJobs. Let the carpet-bombing begin. ;)

Company: The Messenger
    Position: Sports writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: April 2, 2008
    Job ID: 887337

Description:
    If you love prep sports and small towns where people also love sports, The Messenger in Madisonville, Ky. may be just what you are looking for. We have one opening in a two-person sports staff to help cover a wide variety of prep sports in a two-county area. The position does not require any desk or layout work, just meeting, mingling with and telling the stories of our fine young athletes, their mentors and fans. Send resume and cover letter to Tom Clinton, Executive Editor, The Messenger, Box 529, Madisonville, Ky. 42431. E-mail also acceptable at tclinton@the-messenger.com

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Would rather tell the stories of the Fine Young Cannibals.

Also, I find it funny that there's also a paper called the Madison Messenger in North Carolina.

And that's about it from me.

3. sportswriter9247

sportswriter9247 New Member

Anyone know anything useful about this paper and location?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Madisonville is fine (hometown of Travis Ford), though I've never seen the paper.

5. Paul Wilcoxen

Paul Wilcoxen New Member

I had one of those "outside agents" call me about the sports editor job a few months ago. Nothing really came of it.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If you'd like some sense about Madisonville, flip on tonight's episode of "Wife Swap" on ABC ... the Kentucky family is from there.

http://courierpress.com/news/2008/feb/27/ky-family-trades-comfort-for-wife-swap/

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sadly, I just watched wife swap.

8. Writer33

Writer33 Member

Anyone who wants more info can PM me. I'll be happy to help.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I do know the reason there is no layout is that Owensboro is going to be laying out the section starting in March, they're sister papers.

Good sports, bad pay. What more could you ask?

10. killowatt59

killowatt59 New Member

I was the sports editor there from dec 06 until April 07. It took them five months to replace me and that guy left after only four months. The town is very small, I believe around 20000 or so. The people that work at the paper are good people, nice and pretty good to work for, for the most part. They got rid of the sports editor position I believe and are doing some type of coorperation with the Owensboro paper. I was having to cover games, edit a very young writer, take call-ins, do aggit , layout and design the section all with a 10:40 p.m. deadline. It was very stressful and the money was terrible for all that I had to do. But since the design part and all of that has been taken away, it may not be a bad gig. You only cover three high schools, but the fans are nuts, so you will have to deal with some wackos and the biggest problem is the town doesn't respect the newspaper. I can tell you a great deal more if anyone is interested.

11. Sorry. I couldn't pass it up.

12. killowatt59

killowatt59 New Member

Give me a break I had just worked an 18 hour day and I was tired and in a hurry. :p

Draft saved Draft deleted