1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Madison Square Garden And Yankee Stadium...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by daytonadan1983, Aug 19, 2016.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Son is in high school and we are already on college visits.

I make veiled bar/alcohol references like Al Michaels talks about the spread on NBC. Son finds moderate amusement from this approach.

BDC99, dixiehack and bigpern23 like this.
  2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I feel pretty strongly everyone should visit Rudy's at least once if they get to New York. They open at 8 am, so you can go in for a pop in the morning and be back to the hotel before the wife and kids wake up.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Huggy, exmediahack and YankeeFan like this.
  3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

My favorite is the Bronx Zoo, but getting there via public transit is a pain. So I'd settle for American Museum of Natural History on the upper west side.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art, on 5th Ave. and 84th St., the biggest art museum in the United States, is "pay what you wish." (Don't believe the website that mandates a fee, or the signs with suggested prices!) I believe you also get free admission to The Cloisters way uptown with your receipt.

Yes, and yes. The cheapest advance ticket is $34.

The Sept. 11 memorial plaza is free and open until 9 p.m. (though I'm not sure how it can be formally closed off). The museum there costs $24.

4. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

In 1973

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Unless you've never been to an NBA game, I'm not sure what the point of going to a Knicks game is if you're going to be there the following night for a college game.

A Broadway show, a concert at Carnegie Hall, or an event at Lincoln Center are all things you can only do in New York.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The NYC pass we paid $700 for three days with four of us gets us into pretty much everything, including bus, boat and bike tours. We're just trying to plot out a three day plan of action to see the popular destinations, a couple out of the way spots, some museums on the Sunday by Central Park and also leave time to discovery our own memories.

Thanks to all who are writing in. I am taking all of the suggestions to heart.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sarabeth's on Central Park South is a great place for Sunday brunch if you can get a table.

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Post the link to or a list of all the stuff you can access via the pass, and I'm sure we'll pick it apart! o_O </NYC native>

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm 51 and got carded going in there last month, thanked the bouncer for making an semi-old guy feel young again, even if just for a minute!

10. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

It will be my honor to buy Moddy and Cranberry a beer when I'm there. I'm also going to put them both on my media list for the game.

Since I'm a basketball guy, MSG is a must. Having Nets-Knicks while we're up there just completes it

And since I last posted -- I called the Intrepid PR people -- turned out he used to be the SID at Delaware. I could have had the whole team comped, but I have a feeling my coach doesn't want his players climbing that many stairs, so at least I'm set. Remember, the space shuttle Enterprise is on the flight desk... it's a must.

The coaches and I agree that this trip has to have some educational value, so the WTC will be a must. Times Square Photo op, also.

How are the waiting lists for Fallon, Colbert and even Trevor Noah?

Hamilton tickets -- ARE THEY KIDDING? Not on my budget.

Appreciate all the feedback so far...

cranberry likes this.
  11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

If I dug through your history, I could find some posts about some great times you've had there in the more recent past.

ETA: Here's a nice post from the late spnited from March 31, 2010... could not agree more.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As I mentioned I have a buddy who works for the Rangers and he gave Mrs. Huggy and I a behind the scenes tour of the Garden a few years back and it was awesome, saw Billy Joel there last month and it is a special venue to see an event at.

Draft saved Draft deleted