1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Madison gone mad: The Wisconsin followup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Exactly. He was willing to negotiate (not a lot, but a little) but the possibility of separating the bills has been out there since Day 1 and they waited three weeks to do it.

When you're the minority party, you're not going to win too many pissing contests.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

True, the Republicans could use their own maneuver. But by decoupling it from the budget, it put a lie to the notion that this was being done for budgetary purposes.

Also, there's a political lesson that just because people say they're for something doesn't mean they're OK with how you go about doing it. People are for cutting the budget. But that doesn't mean they're going to give blanket support to how you go about it.

Just like how it works the opposite way: just because a lot of people say they don't like the health system reform law doesn't mean they're actually against it, especially when polling finds strong support for many specific items of the law.

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No you're wrong because you missed my point.

What the GOP did may (and I emphasize may because they likely violated open meetings laws to do it) have been legal, but it's not an option that a) makes them look good politically, and most important, b) exposes the lie that getting rid of collective bargaining was all about the budget.

It was never, ever about the budget. They will pay a heavy political price for framing the debate/lying that way to the majority of people in Wisconsin who are not in favor of what he and the GOP have done.

5. Mizzougrad96

I would certainly hope the JS writers had filed FOIA requests for just about everything during the last few weeks. If they didn't they're not doing a very good job.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Why? That's how politics works - maybe they are doing for budgetary reasons, but to get it done need to do it separately? Isn't this form over substance? I admit, I haven't been following as closely as you all have - I may be missing something.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

And far be it for a state agency to selectively release what they want on the timeline they prefer.

9. Mizzougrad96

True.

10. Mira

Mira Member

Well said, Bubbler, on many counts.

Going forward, Walker will have a difficult time working with the Dems. Why shoot yourself in the foot so early in your tenure?

And how about some transparency? AP and Isthmus suing to gain access to Walker's emails:

http://www.isthmus.com/daily/article.php?article=32638

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The "Fab 14," now back in the state (a big mistake) should STILL refuse to go to the Senate, to the point of physical resistance if/when Herr Walker sends the fuzz to drag them in.

Armed cops dragging duly-elected lawmakers through the doors of the Capitol in cuffs. Beautiful. Smile for the cameras.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

@analieseeicher Clerk calling the roll in the assembly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.