1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Made my broadcasting debut

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Apr 9, 2010.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I've done some color during baseball games and many halftime shows at basketball games, but yesterday I was asked to do a web cast at a college softball game. Solo. Since it was a web cast I agreed. After all, I don't think I had more than 16 people online at once and only about 70 listen throughout the doubleheader.

Kind of enjoyed it. I recorded the second game, so I could listen to myself. Didn't realize I talked to damn fast and incoherently at times. But it was definitely something I had fun with.

It also kind of made me wonder if broadcasting is something I could get into. Kind of curious if anyone here has made the switch from print to broadcast, or if anyone can give me some tips/advice if I do any future broadcasts.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Give the score quite often if you're on radio.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If you're on TV, let the pictures do some of the talking. If you're on radio or on a webcast without video, you've got to try to paint a scene for your listeners.

Take your time with talking. If you think you're going too slow, slow down some more.

I find people relate more to a conversational tone from a broadcaster. Make people feel like they're hanging out with an old friend.

Giving the score frequently on the radio is another good tip. Setting up the situation frequently is also good. I can't tell you how many times I've heard inane conversations on radio and have just mentally screamed, "tell me the score you idiot!"

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I have been doing a morning radio sports report for about a year now after working in newspapers for 20 years. I also worked high school football games. The hardest part I have found is pronouncing kids names correctly. There were two kids on one of the high school soccer teams, both really good players. One was from Iran and other was from Russia. Brutal last names.
    I dreaded the days when Mohammed Roknipour or Petar Mladenovic scored a goal.
    Plus the radio station is an affiliate of the LA Kings. I have to include updates on the Kings games the following morning with sometimes more Russian names.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

All broadcasters should adopt a technique started by Red Barber and carried on today by the likes of Jon Miller and Vin Scully: Take a 3-minute egg timer into the booth. Invert it at the start of the game. Every time the sand runs out, turn it over and give the score.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Broadcasting is fun, but hard work. I did a little in college, usually with a guy who'd leave by the seventh inning because he had something better to do.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Listen to Don Sutton on radio and do the opposite. [/frustrated Braves fan] :)

Seriously.... Congrats. I think good pxp people are always needed, especially if you can call some of the fringe sports. You never know when an ESPNU or CSTV will need a jack-of-all-trades pxp person to call a field hockey game, kwim?

I wouldn't quit my day job b/c it's hard to get paid good coin unless you're at the top... but it's fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted