1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Made a telemarketer curse and hang up on me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Sep 24, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This reminds me of a story.

Around 25 years ago, my cousin was starting out as a broker at Merrill Lynch, and was required to cold call.

Well, some guys barks at him that he wasn't interested in buying anything my cousin had to sell.

So, my cousin tell him too bad, because he wasn't calling to sell anything, he was calling to tell him he had won a new car (and, I think me mentioned a luxury brand), and hangs up on him.

Well, the guy figures he's got him now, and contacts Merrill. Of course, all of the phone calls are taped.

To prevent a lawsuit, and negative press, they bought the guy a car.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You know Baron, I bust your chops 'round here a bunch, but that's a perfectly acceptable position. Just wanted you to know I noticed that you're not always wrong ... :D

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

DQ has flipped! Suck it!!!!

4. Baron Scicluna

Don't you mean he wasn't interested in buying anything your cousin was selling?

And what happened to your cousin? Firing? Pay for the car out of commission check?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, sorry. Guys said he "wasn't" interested.

My cousin was put on double secret probation, but not fired. He stayed at Merrill for a long tine after that & has done well.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's funny how the same proposition can be viewed in different ways.

Tennis buddy of mine recently got a job at a construction company. Tells me he may be able to get me a free (well, almost free) roof.

Roof inspector at his company comes over, does inspection, finds some damage that may or may not have been related to a storm we had in May, then files inspection report with a recommendation to replace roof. Sends me e-mail of report detailing the damage found. My buddy calls my insurance company to file claim.

If all goes according to plan, inspector and adjuster will meet at my house to look over roof, and I'll get a new $8,000 roof for the cost of my $500 insurance deductible.

Had some unknown person from this company called me with this proposition, I would have likely not given them the time of day.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, you were misleading people and you feel guilty about it years later, yet this is somehow supposed to make us feel bad about being rude to telemarketers?

Also, as a reporter, when I am calling somebody I'm not trying to sell them anything or con them out of anything.

Honestly, I just hang up unless they try any sneaky crap. Like using my first name when I say hello as if they know me. I hate that. It's dishonest.

That said, I don't think your story helps defend telemarketers at all.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I really haven't been bothered at all since ditching my land line a couple of years ago.

Until recently. Got a couple of calls asking for "Mark."

"You must have the wrong number. I'm not Mark and don't know anyone named Mark," I reply.

"Oh, I'm sorry. But since I have you on the line, you might be interested in . . . ," they say.

That's a new one (at least to me). Response is the same, however. Click.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It doesn't jibe with his anti-corporation stance, though. Why take out your frustrations on the underlings carrying out orders for shitty wages? Ask what company the person is calling on behalf of, then go at them, if you're going to waste any time dealing with these people at all.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I guess mostly I don't think it's nice to harass strangers doing their jobs. You wouldn't and don't like it. Golden rule, bitches.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Great. When I spot a lifelong burglar pilfering from you I won't interrupt him. He's just doing his job.

Seriously, I am nice to just about anyone who calls once. The asswipes who continue to call my elderly folks day in and day out? Fuck them with a hot, rusty poker. I don't give a flying fuck if you think they're just doing a job. If they have the balls to call and endlessly harass old folk, they deserve whatever hellfire and brimstone is rained down on them.

12. Baron Scicluna

Actually, I do ask what company they represent. They may say something like Microsoft. So I'll ask them how Steve Jobs is treating them, and when they reply that he's a great guy, that's when I go have some fun with them.

Draft saved Draft deleted