1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Made a telemarketer curse and hang up on me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Sep 24, 2013.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I hate to admit this because I hate you (;D), but this is fantastic.

They have invasive jobs. My right to privacy trumps their feelings.

It's like you inviting yourself into my home, where you're not welcome, and complaining that the coffee sucks.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Seinfeld with a serve-it-up, knock-it-down:

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I know, right? They're so stupid. How do they NOT know how great you are with your money and investments? I mean, c'mon. It's just plain common sense that you're smart enough to take out short-term mortgages, thereby having it paid off well before most idiots do.

I'm with ya. Just a complete waste of your time. You could have been out traveling the world or something. Jeez. If they had just done their homework.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, does anyone have suggestions for how to make them not call, or how to get them to stop calling, in the first place?

The Do Not Call registry does not seem to work for me.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

In Canada the Do Not Call registry only applies to companies you don't have a relationship with. Your bank, credit card company, etc are welcome to call every day if they want. Then there are those companies that just flout the registry.

May not work for everyone but since I only use a cell phone (no landline) every time I get a telemarketing call I add that number to "Telemarketer" in my contact list. Any calls to "Telemarketer" are set to go directly to voice mail without even ringing. Works a charm.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Has nothing to do with it. They are trying to get your personal info and scam you. It unfortunately works on some people.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but why are you serving crappy coffee? Let me know if I can help you with this problem.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Getting rid of the land line was one of the best things we ever did. No more telemarketers...

We had one guy several years ago who called every night. We had a newborn and he woke him up twice in a week. I said, "Don't call again."

He called the next night. I said, "Don't call here again."

He called the following night and I blew a police whistle into the phone. He didn't call again after that.

As far as "not making these guy's jobs any more miserable than they already are" it goes both ways... A lot of these places pay people based on how many people pick up the phone. A hangup is actually good for them and if they know people are usually home at a certain time, they're going to keep calling...

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If your name pops up when my phone rings, I answer it. If not, the call gets ignored. The chances are minuscule that I'm going to get a call from an unknown number and it is someone I actually want or need to talk to.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for folks whose best employment option is to try to steal from other folks ... that doesn't mean I have to be nice to them when they're trying to steal from me.

My wife and I have discussed dropping the landline many times. It always comes down to the fact(s) that: 1) We're old farts and somehow the idea of not having a landline is troubling; and 2) We're in a zombie zone (not really dead, but close) for cell phone calls. If/when No. 2 becomes a non-issue, we may drop the landline.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

But how many of them realize they may be working a scam? That's probably not part of the orientation handbook. These are people forced to work perhaps the most demeaning job in the world. They are not going to get rich off your information in all likelihood. Obviously you shouldn't give them anything, but there's no reason to be such a dick.

I can't blame you for hanging up, but being a jerk is so juvenile and unnecessary.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I lit into someone last week who said he was "just reviewing your mortgage." Asked him why he was doing that, and then when he said he wasn't, I asked him why he was lying. He gave up and hung up after about 45-60 seconds.

If you want to try to sell me something, fine, I'll be efficient and say no thanks and hang up. That's the best thing you can do to help them, because jerking them around for a few minutes reduces their call volume.

If someone tells me he is rooting around my financial history, yeah, I feel the right to protest that. I guess I'm an asshole that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted